Talk

Advanced search

Assessing reading levels at beginning of academic year

(7 Posts)
forehead Tue 02-Aug-11 21:39:26

Just wanted to know whether teachers assess reading levels at the beginning of the academic year. This is because my ds's(5) reading has improved over the past month or so and i am concerned that this will not be recognised .

Btw i am not a competitive mother, i just want my ds to have confidence
in his reading.

Tidypidy Tue 02-Aug-11 21:50:55

I usually listen to all the children in my class read within the first week as they invariably make progress over the summer holiday. I should think this happens in all schools as teachers want to know their new pupils well as quickly as possible.

forehead Tue 02-Aug-11 21:51:39

Thanks Tidypidy

treesinthebreeze Tue 02-Aug-11 21:54:44

Yes I always listen to mine during the first week back. Often, they've gone back if anything due to some parents totally giving up on reading over the summer!

fenellaf Fri 05-Aug-11 17:03:01

We give the chn a reading assessment which gives us a reading age as opposed to a reading level at the beginning of the year.

BirdyBedtime Mon 08-Aug-11 13:43:14

Thanks for posting this forehead - I too feel that my DD has progressed during the hols as we've been reading every day as we have more time with her (which does make me question how much reading she did in class tbh) and I was wondering whether she'd be placed in a group based on her level at the end of the term, so good to hear teachers saying what they are.

ProfessionallyOffendedGoblin Mon 08-Aug-11 13:48:24

Yes we do assess at the beginning of the term, so that we can match the levels against their assessments in the summer term. If you are aiming for 2 sublevels progress a year, you need a benchmark.
It is also an interesting judgement on how much they have 'lost' over the holidays due to not having read, written or done maths for 6+weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now