Talk

Advanced search

Which dictionary and thesaurus would you recommend for a primary school child and myself?

(6 Posts)
Colourworld Tue 02-Aug-11 17:06:33

I have found Oxford Illustrated Children's Thesaurus 2010 and Oxford Illustrated Dictionary but do not know how good they are. I would like to buy these books for my DS who is going to be 6 in a few months. We would love those books which would be useful during the all primary school years.

ProfessionallyOffendedGoblin Tue 02-Aug-11 18:04:06

For you, and a child at KS2 I would go for the Collins Pocket dictionary and a Collins Thesaurus. Clear font and well edited.

Colourworld Wed 03-Aug-11 09:52:19

I have got Oxford mini pocket thesaurus but the letters are too small.
Yesterday, I found Oxford Primary Thesaurus http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199115167.do. It is much cheaper on amazon. I now think that may be we do not need an illustrated dictionary/thesaurus because they will not have too many words.
I am also concerned about the definitions whether they are easy to understand for small children. Is Collins better in definitions?

Chelseahandfull Thu 04-Aug-11 00:30:02

Preferably one which covers the difference between “myself” and “me”.

Sorry – couldn’t resist :-)

Colourworld Thu 04-Aug-11 09:22:42

Chelseahandfull, that is all right. English is not my first language, not even 2nd smile but I will keep the difference between "me" and "myself" in mind.

ninani Sat 06-Aug-11 23:34:57

We have the Oxford Illustrated Children's Dictionary and Thesaurus and it is quite good. We have used it quite a lot. I think at the moment they have some Collins dictionary (I can't remember which one) on offer at WHSmith as they do all year round I think. It is for adults.

I hope spelling and syntax police is not watching grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now