Talk

Advanced search

oh dear, the holiday diary has already become a hated chore

(44 Posts)
zorgmoid Wed 27-Jul-11 18:51:20

DS has just finished reception. All the children were given a blank 40 page A4 notebook to write something about every day of the holiday, and draw pictures and stick in photos. There was some guidance about the writing - say who you were with, where you went, how you felt etc.

Day five of the holidays. DS' reaction is "noooooooooooo" when I say - "oooh, we'd better do your holiday diary entry for yesterday.

How are we going to manage to do this for five and a half more weeks???? shock

mrz Wed 27-Jul-11 18:54:04

Don't! Who set the homework the reception teacher or the Y1 teacher?
If you do something special make a token effort ... if you must. wink

basingstoke Wed 27-Jul-11 18:56:09

My DC's school did somethng last year called "extreme writing" (take a picture of yourself writing in the most unusual place), and extended that to a holiday diary. We chose somewhere a bit odd for them to do their writing each day (on the top of a slide, in a swimming pool, at every place we visited), and took a photo of them doing it. I also let then write as little as they wanted - one sentence if that was all they felt like. Was fabulous by the end of the holiday!

basingstoke Wed 27-Jul-11 18:57:20

Mine were years 1 and 4 though - reception is awfully young!!

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 27-Jul-11 18:59:54

Sounds a bit over zealous..... was it compulsory? Pound to a penny half the class won't do it - and lets face it the teacher at the beginning of term won't have time to look and read 30 holiday diaries!

Shitter Wed 27-Jul-11 19:06:55

don't do it if you don't feel your child is up to all that writing.

Maybe do a page once a week wtih anythng exciting which may have happened.

The teacher sounds a bit of a prat actually. Are they really expecting something to happen every day? Surely everyone has lazy days where you don't leave th house and just slob around indoors?

Once a week, or not at all. It is not as if you will get into trouble for not dong it.

loler Wed 27-Jul-11 19:08:13

Oh - I love the idea of extreme writing!

DD is going into yr 4 so we are on a fourth holiday diary battle - last year I ending up bribing the dc with a sweet (small one) for every word written. Not fun! Our school has a prize for the best diary in each year - always won by the same people. I hate holiday diaries but even though the dc despise doing them they are too worried about getting told off for not doing them - vicious circle.

Will be back to look for more tips!

waitawhile Wed 27-Jul-11 19:13:51

My reception child (moving to year 1) had a really long list of things to do. One being a diary. I can tell you that it isn't happening in my house. The amount of stress it will cause trying to do it is not worth it. I might attempt a weekly entry or perhaps take some photos and he can write one sentence under the odd picture but every Sunday afternoon is taken up with homework during school term in my house and I don't think summer hols should have any that way parents / children don't have any pressure etc. It's hard enough getting a good meal on the table, providing activities, working blah blah blah. I'm so venting tonight sorry!!! I would do a token effort. Stick pictures on each page and at most do it weekly or when he's excited enough to want to tell it for news.

AmberLeaf Wed 27-Jul-11 19:22:49

Sod that.

MrsGravy Wed 27-Jul-11 19:27:44

I'd give up on it too. It's clearly meant to help them practice their writing, see if you can find a more interesting way for him to do that. Maybe writing a postcard/letter to a relative or friend? Or otherwise just leave the pens and crayons out and let him choose to do what he wants.

I've initiated a scrapbook for my Yr1 DD as her writing isn't very good - same principals as your holiday diary. I wouldn't make her do it though.

Panzee Wed 27-Jul-11 19:29:53

Teacher here.

I agree with AmberLeaf. Sod that.

Don't do it. It's the holidays. I even mildly teased parents who asked for work over the holidays (although I did give them the work!) grin

rebl Wed 27-Jul-11 19:33:02

Ditch it.

Shitter Wed 27-Jul-11 19:34:15

panzee, parents asked for work?????
Good God, are they not all there?
Enough of all those battles during term time, let alone hoping for more torture in the hols. Madness.
Honestly, if they are that desperate for their child to do extra work, can tey not use their own brain to think of something they can do. All that says to m, is they are creeping round the teacher. What a load of bolleaux

MordechaiVanunu Wed 27-Jul-11 19:34:43

Do it once a week. Stick in things you've collected about stuff you've done, get him to draw some pictures and just label them or do the writing thing for him.

Honestly I remember doing all this kind of stuff religiously, mainly, looking back, so the teacher wouldn't think badly of me. Wish I hadn't, what a crap reason to have put my kids under pressure.

Don't be me. Be better then me grin.

Really teacher will vaguely glance at these if she looks at all, and then they'll be shelved as they march on with new work in the term.

Really not worth stessing.

CarrieOakey Wed 27-Jul-11 19:39:31

I agree very young. DS finished reception this time last year and he was exhausted! I let him have the summer off and at the first parents evening of Y1 they commented that they had seen an expected regression in his reading and writing at the beginning of the term so maybe they are just trying to avoid this. Having said that they were very reassuring that they pick back up in no time.

This year as DS has struggled a bit with his reading and writing I am keen for that not to happen this September. I have bought a few work books, found a couple of interactive websites and bought some reading books at home. I decided to gently introduce the idea of a bit of reading and writing starting yesterday - well to my surprise DS can't get enough of it! He begged me for work today shock not sure how long it will last though wink

mumofsussex Wed 27-Jul-11 19:39:50

DD is starting reception in September and we've been given a large scrap book which needs to filled with photos of her and made into a 'this is me' book. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the new parents induction evening so really no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. There are about 30 pages and I've managed 5 so far!

Teachermumof3 Wed 27-Jul-11 19:42:26

Another teacher here who says ditch it! My goodness, can't our children just play?!

Who set the homework; the reception or the year 1 teacher?

BluddyMoFo Wed 27-Jul-11 19:46:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shitter Wed 27-Jul-11 19:46:03

When I were a nipper, (we go back a long way) nobody had homework in the summer, not even the secondary school (grammar) as far as I can remember. I turned out ok, with my o levels. We had a 6 week stretch of proper outdoorsy fun.

I strive to do the same for my children. All school bags etc are hidden away in July and rear their ugly heads again in september wih a big sigh. 2 of mine have done gcse's very early aged 13/14 and passed, so please stop all the ho housing and pressure. They are only children and should be free of everything for a few weeks .

Shitter Wed 27-Jul-11 19:46:44

hot not ho grin

HumphreyCobbler Wed 27-Jul-11 19:47:21

I too am a teacher and I would not make my child do this.

Every day FFS! Tell them to sod off. Politely grin

Becaroooo Wed 27-Jul-11 19:52:49

Maybe just do it over your hols if you ar going anywhere?

We did that as ds1 went into year 1 and put photos, train tickets, leaflets, postcards and sea shells in it....more child friendly I think.

purpleturtle Wed 27-Jul-11 19:53:23

DS2 has just finished reception, and I really don't think he could manage a diary at all. Admittedly, he won't turn 5 till next month, but even if he could write sentences, I can't say I'd be keen on the idea. We are much too busy having fun!

mumblecrumble Wed 27-Jul-11 19:53:54

Oh.
Good.
Lord.

Seriously? DD just gouing into reception. If I had to do this next year I';d go mad!!!

I;m a 6th form teacher - my students had a 5 hour piece of work to do [they have 3 months off* so this is small] and strict orders to have fun, rest, maybe do paid work, go to festivals etc...... Man that;s what summer is for!!!!

Me and DD have just been playing out on the front making nests out of the cut grass, potions from the random flowers and looking to see if the plums are growing oj our lovely council estate. Only just come in to watch a little TV and have stories before bed. No time for report writing, sorry!

*I don;t have 3 months off... just in case this starts any ...well.... you know....

tiggerandpoohtoo Wed 27-Jul-11 19:55:07

Thank goodness DD's school sent them off today with a "happy holiday - enjoy yourselves and that was it! She is in reception and maybe it will be different later on but I hope not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now