Talk

Advanced search

Which shops sell a good range of LUNCHBOXES?

(28 Posts)
Laugs Mon 25-Jul-11 13:20:53

DD is crying every night about going into reception and says she is not going. We still have 7 weeks of the holidays to go... So, I am focusing on the positives and attempting to bribe her with a shiny new lunchbox. smile

Where has a good range? And do kids take flasks to school these days or are they given a drink at school?

Thanks!

ginmakesitallok Mon 25-Jul-11 13:25:23

I got DDs from TKMaxx - they had lots of more unusual ones. She takes a bottle of water to school everyday, and an extra drink when she's having packed lunch

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 25-Jul-11 13:26:49

I get ours from Wilkinsons or Sainsburys generally, DD has been through a few at preschool.

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 25-Jul-11 13:28:19

I send a plastic sports bottle with water in for a drink. Could use a small flask type thing for hot food but I suspect it would be messygrin

Laugs Mon 25-Jul-11 13:31:32

Thanks. I could try TK Maxx and Wilko's today. So, you don't generally get a flask/ water bottle with the lunchbox then (I'm thinking of my own schooldays here)?

EustaciaVye Mon 25-Jul-11 13:31:35

Any supermarket, or wilkos, whsmith. If you want something really nice maybe paperchase?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 25-Jul-11 13:56:18

Thermos Duo lunch kit - has lasted DS all 7 years of primary school.
Wrote his name on the top in tippex.
DDs is pink and her name was in indelible marker

then get a load of various size mini plastic boxes and see what you can squeeze in!

Seona1973 Mon 25-Jul-11 18:11:39

I got dd's from amazon (with a cat on it) and ds's from Next (Super Mario). Neither of them come with a cup. I put a carton of juice in the lunch bag for lunchtime and send a seperate bottle of water in her schoolbag for during the day as they are allowed water in the classroom (the lunch bags go on a trolley and get taken to the dinner hall and they cant access them until lunchtime)

choppychopster Mon 25-Jul-11 18:19:46

Just got 4yo DD a lovely one from ASDA with a sparkly kitten on and a cool strap so she can carry it on her shoulder. Not sure how durable it will be, but this one's just for school holiday club as she usually has school dinners. They had a lovely range for little girls - flowers, butterflies and a few character ones.

School will be able to advise re. flasks. DD's gives them all a cup of water to drink with their lunch, but they all have to bring in a waterbottle that they can access during the day.

Hope your DD starts to feel more positive about starting reception soon. smile

MigratingCoconuts Mon 25-Jul-11 18:24:11

amazon.

Hope she feels happier too. i sure she will when she starts.

How about going along to the local library for the summer reading challenge? She doesn't have to be able to read to join in and you can sell it as the sort of fun stuff you do in reception?? (straw clutching here smile).

My DD is a bit of a reluctant reader and thinks its all great.

BorisTheBold Mon 25-Jul-11 18:38:57

Paperchase do some nice ones, but they are a bit pricey

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 25-Jul-11 18:42:44

Toys r us also do them.

CardyMow Tue 26-Jul-11 00:51:48

Smashbox lunchboxes (I got mine from Tescos). I have had dc at school for 8 years now, and they're the only ones I've ever had that last for more than one school year.

ragged Tue 26-Jul-11 09:32:40

Ebay!!
Funny enough, I just got a Norwich City one for DS2. And it's really nice made & I seriously think will last 3-4 yrs. Very pleased with the value for price.

Flasks fairly unusual nowadays.

ragged Tue 26-Jul-11 09:34:23

School wants water bottles accessible in the classroom (ONLY water), and the dinner ladies bring that usual water bottle to the dining hall with their lunchboxes (& take it away again). So a "Flask" as daily water bottle might be useful; then again, our school has its own bottles for sale. You might want to wait until first or 2nd week to see what kind of bottle she'd want most to fit in /look good.

Laugs Tue 26-Jul-11 09:34:49

Thanks everyone. I meant to go to the shops yesterday, but didn't make it in the end. She didn't cry last night though, which was nice! MigratingCoconuts, we are already doing the summer reading challenge - it's more of a challenge for me as we have said we (I) will read 6 chapter books as she likes to snuggle up for a long read smile

frostymomma Tue 26-Jul-11 18:22:29

I second Amazon - loads of choice

Jinx1906 Tue 26-Jul-11 20:57:35

Amazon are good, also once got a Dr Who one shaped as a Tardis from Ebay. Probably the best one we ever had.

applecrumbleandcream Tue 26-Jul-11 22:21:08

I've just bought my dd this one for reception when she starts in September. It is a perfect size for a small container, fruit etc. and also has a bottle on the side for a drink with her lunch.

Also, as she needs to have a water bottle for drinking throughout the day I've bought her this which is a bit pricey but was recommended to me and should last years.

Laugs Tue 26-Jul-11 22:40:55

Ah that's nice applecrumble. I have been searching on Amazon and found an old fashioned hard red plastic lunch box, which I think looks quite cool... now just to convince DD that she wants that over a sparkly Tinkerbell one wink (no chance)

startail Tue 26-Jul-11 23:44:31

Reception children will have shiny water bottles. the rest of the school will have the cheapest thing available
They are like biros they vanish, sometimes to reappear months later still full of mouldy squash, (DD2 will not drink water unless its in a foreign country and at least 80 in the shade).
Look out for Powerade on a good offer, if you lucky its about 50 pence a bottle. It's worth it even if no one drinks it, it comes in lovely non leaking sports bottles and you won't be upset when they get lost.

ragged Wed 27-Jul-11 09:07:00

DS, going into y3, his daily water bottle (plastic) we found 2 yrs ago in bushes behind the local leisure centre. It's a football one, though, so he loves it. The valves wear out before anything else goes.

Good luck with red plastic lunch box -- that's the sort which was the worst value buy we've had (plastic fasteners broke quickly). Metal next worst, although they last better with older DC who don't bash them so much. The insulated type are my best or 2nd best; the fabric Football one we just got for DS2 looks the hardiest yet, but time will tell, esp. if zips wear out.

Laugs Wed 27-Jul-11 10:47:54

Don't worry, there's no chance she'll go for the plastic one as it is totally plain. I did think it would be a lot easier to clean though, and easier to eat out of as it folds flat.

Fizzylemonade Wed 27-Jul-11 12:42:23

My two boys have these and you can put stickers on them so they are totally unique. You could add tinkerbell stickers!

They wash beautifully, we had the insulated ones and as ds1 has a carton of orange juice it quickly discoloured and looked awful. The plastic ones you can put in the dishwasher (no room in mine at the end of a day) but yoghurt washes out easily grin

All uneaten items are sent home with my children so the lunch box can be gross. Ebay do some lovely personalised water bottles.

startail Wed 27-Jul-11 13:47:56

Just remember as well as loosing the m DD2 used to chew the living daylights out of drink bottles and make them leak.

Yes, most schools make them bring their rubbish home. A real pitta (lunch boxes must be dishwashable), but our infant mums said otherwise the slower eating DCs chucked food away to catch up with their friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now