Talk

Advanced search

Asda school uniform, any good??

(23 Posts)
Lollyheart Sat 23-Jul-11 14:02:11

I normally buy sainsburys uniform but I thought I might give adsa a try as it's cheaper.

Would you recommend it?

ninani Sat 23-Jul-11 15:32:17

Boys trousers are quite good. MIL always says that Sainsbury's is much better so we had bought their polo shirts. Yesterday we bought 2 polo shirts from Asda so we haven't tried them yet!! They were 2 for £3 but before we had also bought from M&S 3 for £3 (ordinary ones) which is cheaper than Asda and they were very good. I don't know if they still have them because it was 6 months ago. The sewing in the inside seems a bit weak but as I said we haven't tries them yet.

iklboo Sat 23-Jul-11 15:58:34

Polo shirts last aaaaaaaages & wash really well.

PersonalClown Sat 23-Jul-11 16:00:48

The trousers last Ds all year! Not bad for an Autistic who likes to roll around on the floor at all chances!

namechange100 Sat 23-Jul-11 16:04:06

I too found the trousers just as good and wearable as M&S.
I think the plain wool jumpers washed out a bit and seemed to shrink a little
I didnt care for the polo shirts - they do wash well but arent as thick as ones from the uniform shop (clive marks) and I think were harder to iron - eg the better quality ones you could dry on radiator and not need ironingsmile

piprabbit Sat 23-Jul-11 16:12:49

The polo shirts tend to dry a bit 'crispy' and as DD's are yellow they fade badly too.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

year2mum Sat 23-Jul-11 20:29:21

Skirts and pinafores are good quality and last as long as any other shop. I find that the girls trousers material goes very bobbly but worth the £4 per pair as my DD is always putting her knees through them!

MigratingCoconuts Sat 23-Jul-11 20:33:18

I'd agree, the girl's uniform stuff has always been great, esp the summer dresses and pinafores.

26minutes Sat 23-Jul-11 20:35:32

The sweatshirts are utter crap. Went out of shape very quickly and looked awful and as cheap as they were. Expected them to last longer than they did but unfortunately not. The trousers are OK though, they've lasted both boys for the whole of last school year and even the knees have held up pretty well. I'll be getting the trousers again from asda for Sept, but will be getting the proper school jumpers & t-shirts, not bothering with the cheap ones this year.

namechange100 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:37:26

shock at trousers lasting whole of school year?

My DS gone through 9 pairs.... 3 m&s, the other 6 Asda

easylife73 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:59:29

Sweatshirts not only went out of shape but faded quite badly too - that was the green ones.

wannabefree Sat 23-Jul-11 21:40:16

The trousers are fab, but I don't like the polo shirts.

blackeyedsusan Sat 23-Jul-11 22:04:34

polo shirts are fab, as are boys trousers. tights are ok too. dd wore one pair of trousers for most of the year at nursery (because i only turned up one pair and she has only just grown into the others 2 years later) she crawls around on the floor a lot. they will have to do for ds too.

Poppyella Sat 23-Jul-11 22:08:21

Love it!

Except I bought dd a thin cardigan only 2 weeks ago and it already has about 10 holes in it. Whether or not this is a fluke I don't know because I always buy Asda stuff. Girls skirts and trousers in particular really suit dd because they have really comfy waist bands and she is really fussy when it comes to things like that!

Polo shirts are fine, especially for the price!

Go for it!

megapixels Sat 23-Jul-11 22:43:39

I've only bought the summer dresses, just bought it on an impulse when shopping one day a couple of years ago and wouldn't ever buy again. They are quite cheap but the problem is that I thought they looked cheap as well compared to the summer dresses from other shops.

megkat Sun 24-Jul-11 11:06:48

I'm not a fan of their polo shirts - I can't use softener (DD2 has eczema) and they dry really hard. Also the sleeves are v short which I don't like for winter; they're more like cap sleeves.

But their skirts and pinafores are excellent - last really well and even pleats don't fall out. Also a fan of their cardigans (but not sweaters, same reasons as mentioned before)

emptyshell Sun 24-Jul-11 13:28:23

From an entire class getting changed for PE thing - I found a few years ago that their pinafores could be quite tricky in that they're fairly tightly cut round the torso meaning it's really hard for the kids to get them on and off independently (it's easy if you've got an adult doing the "hoik it up from the hem and off" manouver) - have had a few get themselves right into a knot trying to get them off themselves and getting caught up in the struggle and mildly panicked. They might have redesigned them by now though.

Galaxymum Sun 24-Jul-11 18:03:51

I've been really pleased with my Asda purchases for Reception this past year. The polo shirts lasted out and just bought new in next size. DD had terrible toileting issues for 2 terms and though her trousers are NOW bobbly they had a LOT of washes! And I think they were comfy too. I bought 2 short skirts for DD for summer term from BHS a nd the pleats have already fallen out. Really disappointed with them. I'm looking at M&S for another skirt if Asda don't have them in. Our Sainsburys don't stock school uniforms annoyingly.

Booandpops Sun 24-Jul-11 23:19:42

Poloshirts are good for £2 for two who can grumble. I like the skirts lasted well but the cardi was horrid. Washed out very quickly and not a good shape. The ms cardi was tonnes better
Summer dresses good for price. Half the price of ms but not As pretty. No pockets etc. I get a combo of both.

BadRoly Sun 24-Jul-11 23:25:57

My girls both have the asda jersey type school trousers. They have been the only ones that fit dd1 comfortably (fit and fabric). She will be in yr6 in September. They have no buttons, zips or pockets and feel nice (not plasticy) so imo are as near perfect as possible.

I have the boys trousers for ds1 and they are ok, much better quality then the budget M&S trousers anyway.

MrsRhettButler Sun 24-Jul-11 23:30:55

Skirts, dresses, blouses and the softer version of the polo's (the ones you buy separately) are all very good value imo, dd's have lasted all year and yes, the pleats stay in. The summer dresses with the zip front are good for younger dc as they don't have to worry about fiddly buttons at p.e time.
I bought from a variety of shops last year and have decided that this year I am only buying from ASDA but as I said I do buy the single shirts/blouses and I get the sweatshirts/cardigans from the school with the logo on

MrsRhettButler Sun 24-Jul-11 23:34:57

Oh, and I've never had to iron anything from ASDA
Oh, actually I sometimes iron the blouses but that's all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now