Talk

Advanced search

holiday help

(15 Posts)
loosinas Fri 22-Jul-11 20:46:22

does anyone wanna join in a thread of fun activities they plan on doing over the summer to incorporate a bit of learning or at least a bit of chugging the grey matter into gear ?
i think were going to try to make a story box.. the teachers told us about it in a wee seminar a few weeks ago
http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/assets/0000/3211/Story_box_guide.pdf

mummyosaurus Fri 22-Jul-11 22:29:25

We will do shared stories, for writing practice.

DD (6) writes one sentence, I write one and so on. She might draw some pictures to go with it and on our best efforts we turn it into a "book".

Feenie Fri 22-Jul-11 22:40:46

Good activities here

loosinas Sat 23-Jul-11 11:39:20

they're great .. anyone else ?

mrz Sat 23-Jul-11 11:57:09

sites.google.com/site/primaryenvironmentalgames/games/journey-sticks

www.naturedetectives.org.uk/download/summer/

loosinas Sat 23-Jul-11 12:02:55

ooooh thanks that second link is ace my son loves the woods and being outdoors smile

mrz Sat 23-Jul-11 12:13:45

www.naturedetectives.org.uk/email

blackeyedsusan Sat 23-Jul-11 13:26:29

feenie, is there something like that for year ones?

mrz Sat 23-Jul-11 13:38:13

webfronter.com/harrow/stanselms/menu3/Maths_Workshop_Information/images/09_version_Parents_booklet.pdf

Feenie Sat 23-Jul-11 18:20:25

No, just Year 2 and Year 6.

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 23-Jul-11 18:37:45

I have 3 DC, DS1 is almost 9, DS2 is 7 and DD is 5.

We are doing:

The summer reading challenge at the library. DS2 needs no encouragement to read (he finished his first book within 24 hours) but I am hoping that it will help DS1 develop the staying power to stick with books all the way to the end rather than just dipping in and out, and it gives DD a bit of structured practice. They also write book reviews as part of it, which keeps up their writing.

MathsWhizz. I have signed up for the free trial, maths isn't DS2's strong point but he loves computers so I'm hoping that it will encourage him. We also have some maths workbooks which DS1 and DD like to do, but DS2 is not so keen.

Nature Detectives (see mrz' link). We also do nature activities at our local RSPB reserve, nature reserve and forestry commission site. Even when there aren't structured activities taking place these are great places to visit.

DS2 loves history. We visit the local museum a lot, and went to the National Museum a couple of weeks ago. Over the summer there are activities as part of the Festival of British Archaeology which we will take part in. We will also go to a reconstructed Iron Age Hill fort near us which has a lot of summer activities run by the national park showing how Celts used to live. There is also a castle nearby which is a national trust property and has a weekend of archery and falconry!

Before anyone tells me that holidays are for fun these are all activities which have been chosen by my children. They still spend a good deal of time playing football, running round the park, watching DVDs etc. We have 7.5 weeks off for the summer so there is plenty of time for a bit of everything grin

loosinas Mon 25-Jul-11 16:02:34

some great ideas here !
whats everyone up to this week with their little ones? any great ideas with some learning sneaked in ??

Lindax Mon 25-Jul-11 22:06:00

ds (7) currently has an interest in plants from his last damn school project and had me in the park at the weekend picking leaves off trees then bringing them home, drawing them, writing descriptions, then looking up on internet and writing the names of the trees. we managed to identify about 16 different trees, boring as hell very interesting.

loosinas Tue 26-Jul-11 13:32:49

hahahaha at the leaf thing ! i was thinking of painting rocks with my son soon but im not sure if i can use normal paint or if i need something more heavy duty like acrylic and if i need to varnish them ?? anyone ??

JemimaMuddledUp Tue 26-Jul-11 15:06:36

Acrylic paint works best.

DS2 picked up a rock on the beach at the weekend which is the exact shape of a slice of pizza, raised crust and all. He has brought it home to paint. Whatever keeps him happy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now