Talk

Advanced search

Online education package for a 4 year old

(15 Posts)
HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 08:51:34

Hi there. My DD will start reception in Sept. My DS ha just finished Year 2. My DS uses Mathswhizz every day, he can't get enough of it, in fact, I need to be very firm and restrict it to 1 hr a day max or he'll be there all day. Problem is, my DD gets very frustrated because she wants to be doing the same as him at the same time. We do have 2 laptops so that's not a problem. Problem is, she knows the online games I find for her are not quite the same and there's a constant stop start situation so it's not like I can get on with preparing dinner or anything. Sorry for the waffle but I was wondering, is there an education package my DD could subscribe to that will teach very basic numeracy and phonics and offers my DD some sort of continuity and progress-check? TIA

merrymonsters Fri 22-Jul-11 09:04:28

My 3 year old uses starfall.com. There is a free section and recently they've started a paying section called' more starfall'. It does basic maths and phonics/reading but there is no progress check. It's very child friendly and my DD loves it.

Otherwise, poisson rouge is very good for learning how to use a computer. It does letters as well, but I don't think there is any maths.

IndigoBell Fri 22-Jul-11 09:18:48

What about reader rabbit software?

pooter Fri 22-Jul-11 09:22:30

i second poisson rouge, easy to use unaided and loads of very varied activities.

Scholes34 Fri 22-Jul-11 10:32:15

My DDs love playing outside.

Chandon Fri 22-Jul-11 11:51:31

am with Scholes here.

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 22-Jul-11 11:55:29

DD is 5 and has just finished Reception so is slightly older than your DD but she is doing the free trial of Mathswhizz (only because her older brothers are, and I don't plan to pay for it after the free trial) and is managing just fine. Could you try your DD with the free trial and see how she goes if she is really desperate to do something like that?

HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 12:31:14

Scholes and Chandon, my children enjoy playing outside too when it' not pouring down rain, which hasn't happened a lot of late, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with 1 hr on the computer every day, absolutely nothing, including for a 4 year old if that's what she wants to do. This is in addition, and not instead of, playing outside, playing with cars, tractors and dolls, dressing up, baking, dancing and a long etc of other activities she enjoys. A 4 year old who has an older sibling will want to emulate what they do and chances are they'll end up hooked on computer games sooner than perhaps other children, so I am just trying to make the time spent in front of the pc useful.

I am going to spend a little time looking into the options that have been suggested here. I'll be back soon. Thank you and keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate it!
xx

sleepingbunny Fri 22-Jul-11 13:29:55

my 4 year old loves Reading Eggs, which we do pay for but reckon we get our money's worth. It has a nice mix of 'lessons' and games with a vaguely educational bent. I know what you mean about siblings OP, her almost two year old sister keeps standing on a chair next to the computer demanding to do 'clicking, clicking' - and she really isn't old enough!

blackeyedsusan Fri 22-Jul-11 17:23:31

there is something wrong with a four year old being on the computer... means i can't get on mn ands have to put up with that irritating music they put on programmes for 4 year olds... grr...

c beebies hve some good games... but it is very stop start...

HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 17:24:50

blackeyedsusan, have you heard of headphones? wink

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 17:54:50

www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/kentict/content/games/literacy_menu.html
www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/kentict/content/games/maths_menu.html

but an hour on the computer isn't ideal for a young child.

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 17:56:44

www.bgfl.org/61.cfm

teacherwith2kids Fri 22-Jul-11 19:42:07

Re time on the computer - I restrict my kids (8 and 10) to half an hour 'screen time' twice a day. They can choose to take this on their shared DS or the computer or a combination of the 2 (they often choose DS in the morning and computer in the afternoon, for example). They also watch 30 minutes of TV after supper each day. So a maximum (in holiday time as only the evening tv slot happens during the school week) of 90 minutes screen time in total per day.

An hour just on the computer for a 4 year old sounds a bit excessive, however 'educational' the software....

HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 21:05:16

I do agree one solid hour for a 4 year old is excessive; DD wouln't have the patience to stay still that long so it probably is no more than 30 minutes for her. My DS is a different story though. He's only 7 and wants to do stuff with the ipad or the computer constantly. When you're busy it's just so easy to let him do what he will... it's the easy option, I know, just to avoid arguments...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now