Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a positive experience of Kumon maths .. and any idea how much it costs?

(7 Posts)
bodiddly Thu 21-Jul-11 21:16:42

I just had a look on the web site and you have to call your local centre for prices. I just wondered if anyone knows roughly how much it is and if they think it produces good results? Thanks

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 21-Jul-11 21:18:51

Kumon is £55 per month for one subject only, so eg Maths £55. It covers addition, subtraction, multiplication and division - so good for mental maths.

Personally, my children do better with Mathletics and DD especially has learned more in 2 weeks doing Mathletics than she did doing Kumon for 2 years.

bodiddly Thu 21-Jul-11 21:21:11

thank you ... Im not entirely sure how it works ... do they get taught in the sessions they go to ie. when there is a new topic? How much works are they meant to do every day?

Hulababy Thu 21-Jul-11 21:25:35

10 minutes a day iirr.

We only did the trial. Wasn't impressed. Have posted our experience on here at the time, would be searchable.

Cheaper to buy their workbooks and do it yourself at home tbh. Or any other maths workbook, or use something like mathletics.

bodiddly Thu 21-Jul-11 21:29:12

thanks Hulababy ... I already do work books/sheets that I print off. I just thought t might be worth a try as someone I met the other day said all 3 of their dcs had done it for 10 plus years and raved about it. At £55 Im not sure it is an option unless it really delivers results.

waitawhile Thu 21-Jul-11 21:49:50

My DD did Kumon (mainly English) whilst we were abroad. I didn't know about this website then and didn't know what else I could do to help prepare here for moving back here. Her maths needed some work and she'd had a subscription to mathletics through school which ended when she left. I personally would try maths whizz for a couple of weeks. I like that it shows you how to work things out and it's a bit more fun. Kumon is very repetitive but it did help get DC into a habit of doing a little bit but often so when we need to have a burst at something we tell to do it for a several weeks and they know what that feels like so will just get on with it.

bodiddly Thu 21-Jul-11 22:12:02

I am just looking at the Kumon books on Amazon. I might give one a try though it is difficult to know which level to start at as you can't see inside them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now