Talk

Advanced search

Calling all teachers: questions about presents from a curious parent.

(25 Posts)
BeckyBendyLegs Thu 21-Jul-11 17:19:07

What do you like to get as an end-of-year present, what do you hate getting, what do you get tonnes and tonnes off, and what is the most bizarre thing you've ever been given?

I'm curious because I have a friend who is a primary school teacher and before I had children I used to be amazed at the huge amount of gifts she'd get (cheesy 'I love teacher' mugs, picture frames, oodles and oodles of chocolate - which I used to help her eat - flowers and the odd bottle of wine). DS1 has got his classroom teacher a ceramic frog, his teaching assistant a soap shaped like a slice of cake, and some coffee flaveroured tea for his other teaching assistant. DS2 wanted to buy his teacher a fluffy pink pencil...

mrz Thu 21-Jul-11 17:46:50

I've just got a picture of me as a Ancient Greek monster with the message
I'll miss you. You are the best!
so I'm sat blubbering (and now my mascara has run the picture bears an uncanny resemblance) grin

BeckyBendyLegs Thu 21-Jul-11 18:10:40

That's really sweet smile

montymum Thu 21-Jul-11 19:33:10

I got a certificate today made by one of the children- 'For the lovlyest, prittyest, kindest most wonderfulliest teacher in the world'- It was gorgeous but made me think I'm not so great at teaching spelling!!

mrz Thu 21-Jul-11 19:41:09

I also got

It's been nice oning (knowing) you ... but by!
grin

MigratingCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:11:22

I once got a christmas tree decoration from one student; which is lovely because I think of her every year I hang it on the tree.

Goblinchild Thu 21-Jul-11 20:13:41

Me too! The child that gave me my first Christmas decoration was lovely, and must be about 35 by now.

cjbartlett Thu 21-Jul-11 20:19:58

shock. Thought you were male mrz!

swash Thu 21-Jul-11 20:22:31

Ooh I am going to do Christmas decorations for teachers this year - what a great idea!

Mum2be79 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:25:44

As a teacher, I would love Christmas tree decoration. Hand-made ones are extra special (doesn't have to be fancy but they stick with you!)

For me, a hug at the end of the day (soppy I know) but as I said on a previous thread, my class this year are not 'givers' (unsupportive parents, a lot on FSM etc etc) but lovely all the same.

They all get a party bag from me though whether they like me or not!!

mrz Thu 21-Jul-11 20:26:25

nope cjbartlett grin

onadifferentplanettoday Thu 21-Jul-11 20:28:02

My favourite is a handmade xmas tree decoration with made by 'childs name' and the year on it.

Goblinchild Thu 21-Jul-11 20:47:05

I must admit that I only keep decorations from children that I really liked.
I wouldn't want to spoil my Christmas.
Same with the fridge magnets. smile

mrz Thu 21-Jul-11 21:00:07

I keep things like that but my daughter won't have them on the tree [jealousy]

MerryMarigold Thu 21-Jul-11 21:09:34

Mrz, love the "..but by". Made me larf!

My dsis is leaving her school this year (hated it) and one of her yr5's said, "I'll miss you sooooo much... but I know we'll keep in touch." Dsis smiled on the outside but was hmm on the inside!

letthembe Thu 21-Jul-11 21:16:23

I've had Xmas decorations before - I do like them, I always put them on my classroom tree.
I often get mugs (a drink A LOT of coffee). I haven't opened this year's pressies yet - they're forming a pile in the classroom. Some are definitely chocolates and wine. Oh and I have flowers already this week. If truth be told, chocolate isn't my favourite, but the thought counts and my DC love it.
This year one of the Y6 teachers has been given a gift of afternoon tea for two at a local posh hotel/spa by one of her pupils. I love this idea and I am going to copy at some point.

EustaciaVye Fri 22-Jul-11 06:10:17

I thought mrz was a man too blush grin

DD has given key rings this year. Completely against my better judgement but it is what she wanted to give. One was a pretty butterfly, and the other was a sparkly heart. She was so proud of them and wrote lovely cards to go with them.

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 22-Jul-11 07:56:06

I love the Christmas tree decoration idea - I'll keep that idea for next year.

I laughed out loud at 'but by' that is sooo the sort of thing my DS1 would put. He wrote a card for his teacher (who he actually has again next year) that reads something like 'Thank you so much for teaching me in 2010/2011 and I can't wait to learn about the industriel resolushun in 2011/12'. DS2 just put 'thank for been my teacher' but he's only 5 smile

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 16:15:50

I must have all the characters in my class

Thank you very much for being my teacher (again!)
and making me as clever as I am!
grin

letthembe Fri 22-Jul-11 16:59:13

I have been amazed by the generosity and thoughtfulness of the children in my class and maths group. Some of the messages and homemade cards brought tears to my eyes. But possibly one of the nicest and most thoughtful presents I have ever received came today from a boy who has struggled to settle in school over the years, but we just hit it off! He gave me a poem he'd found about teachers, added his name and framed it a simple beautiful frame. It made me cry! When I thanked his mum at the end of the day, our eyes filled again... I will display that poem in my classrooms forever!

CRS Fri 22-Jul-11 21:18:50

One of my class parents gave me a packet of fags, a bottle of wine and a bar of chocolate and included a note saying "Do I get an award for "most inappropriate" teacher gift?" grin

MerryMarigold Sat 23-Jul-11 16:03:25

I asked my ds1 (just finished YR) what he wanted to write to his teachers. To his class teacher (who's very odd, but anyway, he liked her), he said, "I love you. Because you are my favourite teacher." To the TA he had to think really hard and finally said "Can you write, 'Thankyou for all your hard work'. And thankyou for our special books'." Made me giggle, so formal!

zorgmoid Sun 24-Jul-11 20:28:03

DS1 wrote to his teacher "thank you for teaching me to peel a banana. My best thing this year was playing in the sand". He's in reception. Evidently, as he wrote this himself and spelled it all correctly, the teacher has taught him more than how to peel a banana.

the TA got: "I like you lotsand lots love from DS1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Northumberlandlass Sun 24-Jul-11 20:48:06

We did a class collection & got DS's teacher John Lewis vouchers .... DS made a card though and he pressed a flower for the front. Inside it said:

Dear Mrs D, thank you for being my teacher. I've had a really good time and you have taught me lots of things, but I'm afraid I have to go to year 3 now

Bet she is gutted grin

nappysan Thu 04-Aug-11 23:17:43

A home made card and/ or thoughtful letter from parents is always best. Kind words always treasured.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now