Talk

Advanced search

Contemplating sending DS (Catholic) to a Sikh school...

(7 Posts)

A new school has opened up, well 3 years ago, just up the road. It is a Sikh school. On the same road is a Catholic school (heavily over subscribed - very large Catholic Polish community) and it isn't really very good. A new school has opened up, Sept '10, which DS has been at a few days and it's...meh. The day starts at 8.50 but hardly anyone turns up before 9. It was built as an overflow school, with 4 Reception classes and a few Yr 1 classes and they are adding yrs 2-6 over time. There is also an Islamic school next door (alot of schools!). The Sikh school looks wonderful. I have just researched it out of curiosity, and they seem to have very high standards. Behaviour is wonderful, the pupils have alot of respect and courtesy instilled in them, facilities are good, oppertunities are good. It's like an oasis of order and calm in contrast to where DS goes now. They reserve 20% of their places for non-Sikhs, and in the past, before the Sikh school was built, most would go to the Catholic/Christian schools in the area. I know nothing of the faith though, nothing at all despite a bit of research. I guess this is abit of a WWYD ?

AnnThology Thu 21-Jul-11 11:18:10

i love the ideas of sikhism, and knwo of a lovely primary school locally.

although UTTERLY disagree with religious schools

caramelwaffle Thu 21-Jul-11 11:23:19

The Sikh schools that I know have high standards of discipline and very good results.
If in a position similar to yourself, I would apply for a place.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 21-Jul-11 11:24:34

Absolutely no reason why not. Plenty of non Catholic people are willing to get their children into Catholic schools despite, in some cases, despising the Catholic religion. I'd go and have a chat with them, sounds like it could be a lovely school.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 21-Jul-11 11:25:34

That reads like tit for tat, that's not what I meant. I just meant that, for a lot of people, the religious ethos of the school is immaterial, so not knowing about the religion shouldn't put you off.

caramelwaffle Thu 21-Jul-11 11:26:05

Why is the Catholic school not good?

I should imagine this would be your first choice (?)

magicmummy1 Thu 21-Jul-11 18:25:32

If I agreed with faith schools in general (which I don't!) I wouldn't hesitate to send dd to a Sikh school. I find Sikhism very open-minded in comparison to many other religions, and all of the Sikh families I know care deeply about education.

If you like the feel of the school, go for it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now