Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - do you actually teach times tables in the classroom?

(15 Posts)
treas Thu 21-Jul-11 10:35:33

I know it sounds an odd question but my dd's class are given speed timetable grids to complete but at no time do the class actually recite their tables.

This just seems odd to me as effectively they are being tested on something they haven't been taught.

I do realise that many of the children will have been taught at home by their families but as all parent know children are always scathing about learning anything they they see as being school work at home.

pippitysqueakity Thu 21-Jul-11 14:27:47

Yes.

handsomeharry Thu 21-Jul-11 16:47:39

Yes of course.

Feenie Thu 21-Jul-11 17:09:06

Yes.

mrz Thu 21-Jul-11 17:48:51

Yes (we sing Percy Parker every day)

treas Thu 21-Jul-11 18:31:18

Excellent - so does anyone know why dd's school wouldn't recite times tables? Also what would be the most diplomatic way to suggest that it would be a good idea if they did?

Goblinchild Thu 21-Jul-11 18:33:22

Yes, always have.
Not the only way to teach them their tables, but as a quick mental wake up it's good fun.

Doowrah Thu 21-Jul-11 18:48:02

Yes lots in a variety of ways not just by reciting. Ask what they do before offering your well-meaning suggestions, consolidate this at home and recite if you want too....I say....

anthonytrollopesrevenge Thu 21-Jul-11 20:15:10

No timetables work in class here either. A weekly test all year, left up to me and DS to do all the work at home. Drives me round the twist but DS is now a timetable superstar.

teacherwith2kids Thu 21-Jul-11 23:28:12

Yes. Variety of ways - songs, circle cards, snap, reciting, spotting patterns etc etc

Mum2be79 Fri 22-Jul-11 18:25:25

Yes. We teach 'CLIC' - Counting, Learn Its, It's Nothing New and Calculating through 'Big Maths' programme. We've just started it but my Year 1 class moved up 2 sub levels in a term and can now recite the 2 and 10 times tables and are beginning to learn the 5s.

Macaroona Fri 22-Jul-11 18:27:33

When I was wee, we didn't learn times tables by rote - we were taught to work them out. Learning them by rote seemed old-fashioned then 25 years ago

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 18:32:14

We also use CLIC Mum2be79 ... nice to hear others find it works.

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 18:34:36

It was considered old fashioned Macaroona then they discovered old fashioned doesn't mean bad and realised a whole generation struggled to calculate quickly.

millyrainbow Fri 22-Jul-11 23:36:55

Try multiplication.com it had got loads of games to help learn tables. I suggest the best way is 5-10 minutes practice each day and stick with 1 table at a time. The problem with learning by rote is that it does not encourage instant recall (eg rather than knowing that 6x8=48, you might have to count up 1x8, 2x8 etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now