Talk

Advanced search

Any Y1/2 teachers - advice re reading etc over the holidays

(20 Posts)
spudinvasion Wed 20-Jul-11 18:33:54

My DS is 6 and just finishing Y1. He is able but I think about average at school in most areas. He is not all that keen on school although is happy to go in, behaves well for the most part and completes what is asked of him.

We had some concerns early in Y1 as they kept on about his lack of motivation. I stopped worrying when I had a chat to the head who said she thought it was simply a lack of maturity - he is a summer born.

When we went to the introduction to Y2 they made a big thing about children at a reading level between 5 and 10. They say these children are more likely to go back after the holidays almost as non readers again if they don't keep up their reading at home over the summer. DS is on level 7 books.

He is a really really reluctant reader. He will happily sit and do a page of simple adding/taking away. He will do a bit of writing if you give him something interesting to do (write a letter to Granny, write about what you want to do on holiday etc). But try as I may, he hates reading. I try so so hard not to push it but this just means he never does it. I have tried at different times of day, beofre bed, 1st thing, before tea, after tea. He just isn't interested. I have let him choose books, tried with comics everything.

My question is (yes there is a point!) how much should I push and do you have any top tips for encouraging reluctant readers? Will writing make any impact on his reading? None of the above - should I stop worrying and just drop it?

Teachermumof3 Wed 20-Jul-11 18:44:02

What about a sticker/star chart where he gets a star every time he reads and then chooses a treat when he has read x times. That really worked for my reluctant reader!

lovecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 18:47:46

Does your local library do the Summer Reading Challenge?

simpson Wed 20-Jul-11 18:51:11

was just going to mention the summer reading challenge and someone beat me to it!! grin grin

My DS is also coming to the end of yr1 and I am going to do it with him..

esor Wed 20-Jul-11 18:56:00

My DD has just turned 7 and I would say that she was pretty much the same as your son reading wise. I can honestly say that it was about May this year that she has 'switched on' to reading. I did everything to encourage her but there was always a distinct lack of enthusiasm. We went to the library often, read together, books were bought as a special treat etc. But it was just around her SAT's that she seemed to actually enjoy reading. Also I am reading more often around her and that may have had far more influence than I thought, leading by example. Don't despair, keep positive and just wait once he finds a book that he likes and it does not seem like such an effort to read I am sure he will read happily. Even now my DD will pick books that are way too easy or with lots of pictures, I allow a couple of these from the library and then ask her to get one that is not so easy which she will happily do. Good luck and don't worry.

spudinvasion Wed 20-Jul-11 19:02:39

Thanks all. Can you believe that he has just asked me if I will read his school book with him as he wants to get a sticker in his reading diary on the last day!!!!! Perhaps a sticker chart will motivate him!

Its nice to hear that your DD has clicked with reading esor. He's never been keen on the library but will try again and see if they do the reading challenge. Thanks for all the tips and I will stop worrying!

teacherwith2kids Wed 20-Jul-11 19:11:59

How much do you read to him? It is not clear from your post whether he dilikes reading, or dislikes books altogether IYSWIM?

If I were you, I would lay off the reading to you entirely for the beginning of the summer holiday. However, really up the amount you read to him - so if you already read one bedtime story, read him two. ALWAYS say yes when he asks you to read a book. Go into the next section oof the library and choose some chapter books together that look really exciting, and read them to him a chapter at a time, making a big 'ta da!' cliffhanger about where you leave it each time (I can suggest some series of books for you if you can give some idea about what interests him - magic, adventure, sport, animals?) Do some 'incidental' reading to / with him when you are out and about "I'm looking for a signpost that says 'Manchester' - can you see it anywhere?" etc.

If he's happy being read to, but not reading himself, then get him to start spotting words in what you are reading to him. Read sentence and sentence about, or even word and word about, taking turns (books with lots of dialogue are good for this - he can do one voice, you can do another).

Then see if your library has any 'series' of early reading books. Start with a level well below where he is at the moment. Setup a chart - books he reads vs books you read. Spend some time as 'everybody reading' times - you read your books, he reads his. He should get LOTS of stickers to every one of yours if you play your cards right. Complain that it's not fair, his books are too easy, get him the next stage ones out of the library ... he'll STILL get far more stickers than you ... etc

The only other thing to say is that you might want to make sure that there is a good mix of non-fiction and fiction in the books you have for him to read. DS was a very reluctant fiction reader from Year 1 onwards, but happily read reference books on sport aimed at adults. In Year 5, he has suddenly discovered adventure books in a big way and is seldom seen without his nose in a fiction book ....

spudinvasion Wed 20-Jul-11 20:10:00

Thanks teacher that is all very helpful indeed. I do read to him every night and he is very pro that. Will up the number of books and take your advice about taking turns.

I read a lot myself so should be no problem having everyone reading time.

I would be really grateful for suggestions for series - he likes knights and castles and also pirates.

teacherwith2kids Wed 20-Jul-11 20:44:41

Sir Gadabout is the obvious series that suggests itself re knights.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadabout-Dolphin-Books-Martyn-Beardsley/dp/1858810558/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311190771&sr=1-3

Pirates - there are some good Jeremy Strong (=funny) pirate books.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jeremy+strong+pirate&x=0&y=0

He may also enjoy the 'Magic Tree House' series, in which Jack and Annie find a magic treehouse and through the books they find there go off on various advnetures. Both castles and pirates feature in the first series (be warned that these are originally US books and their production quality e.g. paper and glue is poor).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Tree-House-1-4-Dinosaurs/dp/0375813659/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311190878&sr=1-1

teacherwith2kids Wed 20-Jul-11 20:45:08

Bother. No good at links.

Sir Gadabout is the obvious series that suggests itself re knights.
www.amazon.co.uk/Gadabout-Dolphin-Books-Martyn-Beardsley/dp/1858810558/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311190771&sr=1-3

Pirates - there are some good Jeremy Strong (=funny) pirate books.
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jeremy+strong+pirate&x=0&y=0

He may also enjoy the 'Magic Tree House' series, in which Jack and Annie find a magic treehouse and through the books they find there go off on various advnetures. Both castles and pirates feature in the first series (be warned that these are originally US books and their production quality e.g. paper and glue is poor).
www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Tree-House-1-4-Dinosaurs/dp/0375813659/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311190878&sr=1-1

WhipMeIndiana Wed 20-Jul-11 20:48:29

have you tried him on the wheres wally books - there is a paragraph to read on each page before the hunt, as it were..could make books fun <and good for parents>

...harry potter? choose your own adventures? these are great is the book is different each time

lizziemun Wed 20-Jul-11 21:02:31

My dd is slightly older just finishing yr 2, but not a confident reader, and she want me to read the chronicals of Nania to her, and we have agreed that she has to read a book of her choice for at 10mins a day and in return I will read her 30mins of Nania.

spudinvasion Wed 20-Jul-11 21:22:50

Thanks again. Will definitely get some of them. I asked him about non-fiction and he is interested to learn about cars and trucks and how they work so will be looking out for those too.

Magic tree house great as his name is Jack!! He loves a story with a Jack in it!

MigratingCoconuts Wed 20-Jul-11 21:30:30

love this thread....I have a very similar DD!

munstersmum Wed 20-Jul-11 21:36:35

From a different angle - Top Trumps. I bang about these everywhere because they are one of the cheapest best 'slyly educational' cheap games out there IMO. Get a pack of the younger directed ones eg Ice Age for about £6. Each character card has a little description to read. You need to read your one word category each turn. You also learn ordering of numbers eg 78 loses to 87.

spudinvasion Wed 20-Jul-11 22:46:16

OOh good idea munstersmum. We are driving half way across france in a few weeks so he could play that in the car.

redskyatnight Thu 21-Jul-11 09:41:18

The Usborne Puzzle series is good because there are little bits of things to read and the reading is almost incidental to the puzzles iyswim.

DS (also reluctant reader) liked the red nose readers and happy family series at this sort of age - I read the main story and he read the speech bubbles!

MigratingCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:05:23

right.....top trumps on order. Great plan grin

teacherwith2kids Thu 21-Jul-11 23:20:00

Munstersmum,

THANK YOU. Borrowed that great idea.... straight into my teaching ideas box...

munstersmum Fri 22-Jul-11 10:27:53

Takes a bow gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now