Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about levels (very boring, no boasting)

(8 Posts)
missmiss Wed 20-Jul-11 00:41:00

If a child is working 'on target' throughout primary/lower secondary school (i.e. 2b year 2, 4b year 6, level 5 year 9), what are they expected to achieve at GCSE?

lovecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 08:41:02

level 3 at KS1 -> level 5 at KS2 ->

level 5c = GCSE grade B
level 5B = GCSE grade A
level 5A = GCSE grade A*

Put very simply.

LovetheHarp Wed 20-Jul-11 08:45:38

Good question!
How typical is this though? I thought development in most children was not linear? Are there stats to prove this is true in the majority of children? (Just interested really!).

lovecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 08:48:10

missmiss sorry, dodn't answer your question correctly. I think an expected level 4B at the end of year 6 translates as a GCSE grade c.

missmiss Wed 20-Jul-11 11:30:54

Thanks, lovecheese!

2pinkmonkeys Wed 20-Jul-11 12:13:04

i think it makes little difference what they get in their sats to what they will acheive at GCSE. I got level 4 for english, 5 for maths and 5 for science in my Y6 SATs. But ended up with appauling GCSE grades as i decided that at the age of 15 i knew every thing that there is to know in life and didnt need to go to school any more!!!
people change some kids do well early but become very average in the end and some are late bloomer and dont come into their own until they reach secondary school.

lovecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 14:22:57

But unfortunately 2pinkmonkeys OFSTED base their target grades thus, and give secondary schools a load of shit if they don't deliver.

ragged Wed 20-Jul-11 14:32:47

Good points 2pinkmonkeys (even the cleverest people can screw up).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now