Talk

Advanced search

Last minute advice please- lost job

(6 Posts)
sadmum1000 Tue 19-Jul-11 00:42:00

Hi. Our appeal is wednesday and is ICS. Our appeal is based on seperating siblings but not the only one as at least 8 others with the same case.
My husband lost all his work/ mobility due to a medical problem and i've just been made redundant today. Does that affect my appeal? We now would have to pay childminder to collect a child even though have zero income.

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 19-Jul-11 00:48:18

I'd stick to the sibs issue, but if you have clear undisputable grounds for having to have a childminder to collect the child, it is an issue they'd consider afaik. Beware of shooting yourself in the proverbial though, as they may well look at it as 2 parents available to collect children, so no problem... not asking you for more info as you don't want to out yourself here, but if your dh is receiving dla/mobility you might have a hope of saying he's unable to figure in childcare arrangements, but otherwise be very very wary, these situations have a very nasty habit of using the supporting info against you, in effect sad

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 19-Jul-11 00:49:19

sorry to hear about your situation, it's crap

Saracen Tue 19-Jul-11 08:10:05

So sorry to hear about your situation. I would have guessed that your circumstances wouldn't affect the appeal, but might be the basis for free transport. If you aren't successful in getting your child into the same school as siblings, that might be worth looking into.

You might also think about keeping your younger child in nursery or at home while waiting for a place to come up at the school the older one(s) attend. There's no requirement for parents to educate children at all until the term after their fifth birthday, (and they remain eligible for free nursery sessions until then, which is the same EYFS curriculum as Reception). After that if you are still in the same boat you could home educate.

clam Tue 19-Jul-11 08:43:51

"if you have clear undisputable grounds for having to have a childminder to collect the child, it is an issue they'd consider afaik"
I'm not sure that's right, MrsShrek. Everything I've read on here, anyway, seems to say that childcare issues are not considered.
Sorry to hear of your situation, OP.

admission Tue 19-Jul-11 11:39:47

The panel will have every sympathy with your situation but under the ICS Regs they have very little room for their own opinions to come into play. They can only admit where a mistake has been made or where the decision of the LA was unreasonable (which in legal terms is a completely perverse decision). Neither of those two situations appear to exist from your posts and therefore I am afraid you have to assume that you will not win at appeal unless something is uncovered during the appeal.
Sorry to say that. Appeal panels really hate these kind of cases, where under normal circumstances of an appeal they may well want to consider admitting but are stopped by the stupid limitations imposed by the ICS Regs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now