Talk

Advanced search

What should a child be able to spell by the end of KS1?

(8 Posts)
sybilfaulty Mon 18-Jul-11 22:54:01

Hello there

I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of a list of words which children should be able to spell by the end of KS1 please? My DD1 is at the end of year 1 and her spelling is very poor, but I've no idea what children should be able to spell by the end of year 1 and indeed what they should be able to spell by the end of year 2.

It would be helpful to know what we are working towards. Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Iwantacampervan Tue 19-Jul-11 06:54:18

There is a list of high frequency words (if you google then there are a variety of sites).
This one has a list for KS1 and also hangman (I've not tried it to see if it works).
high frequency words

sybilfaulty Tue 19-Jul-11 07:08:06

Thanks very much - will have a look at this.

Thanks again.

lovecheese Tue 19-Jul-11 09:24:37

sybilfaulty What phases of phonics has your DD completed? There are six in total, with phase 6 usually being completed in year 2 (I think). Rather than printing lists of key words - which I think are defunct now hmm - I would google the phonic stages and take it from there.

My DD is just finishing year 2 and I know towards the end they were looking at words with different pre-fixes, suffixes, compound words, that sort of thing, but that was in the top group; I'm guessing lower groups will be covering those in year 3. HTH.

sybilfaulty Tue 19-Jul-11 11:03:38

THanks lovecheese - I don't know what level exactly but will google the various levels and take it from there.

Thanks again for replying.

fenellaf Wed 20-Jul-11 20:06:03

The high frequency words are not defunct. They are words, which, as the name suggest, are used frequently in writing, and they are not always phonetically spelled, for example, who, why, what, etc. which is why they need to be learnt.

lovecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 20:49:46

I agree that they need to be learnt but the OP would be better directing her efforts at phonic phases. And aren't the words that you list reception words?

munstersmum Wed 20-Jul-11 21:44:00

DS has just come to end of KS2 & the only homework over the hols for the entire class (whatever ability) is to keep on top of the spelling of 110 high frequency words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now