Talk

Advanced search

Disappointed the activity break has been cancelled

(11 Posts)
worldgonemad72 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:54:03

Hi

My dd's school recently tried to organise next years trip to an activity camp, my dd wil be in year 6 and was so excited about it, due to funding cuts parents have been asked to contribute £140 per child, I know its a lot of money. Only my dd and a boy in her year have taken in the deposit of £20, the rest you could save weekly on a payment plan. Anyway because of lack of numbers its been cancelled, im gutted for her, i went on the same trip at her age and it was a fantastic experience, i hope they repeat it at high school so she gets the chance to go.

Not sure what any one can say, im just disppointed, unless anyone has got any ideas how i can raise 5 grand for the school so they can go?????

2shoes Mon 18-Jul-11 21:56:27

that is a shame. dd went to one and loved it

Goblinchild Mon 18-Jul-11 22:02:00

I worked in a school that was in a very economically deprived area, we got funds from different charities to help run some of our activities.
Children in Need paid for a minibus, that sort of thing.
Is it that the parents can't afford the money, even with weekly payments, or do they just not want to?

everlong Mon 18-Jul-11 22:04:53

What a shame. Ds has just been on his last week and really enjoyed it.

What about getting together with school and other parents to see if they have any ideas how raise the money?

worldgonemad72 Mon 18-Jul-11 22:07:35

Im not sure goblinchild tbh, i think most of the kids would love to go, so im guessing its got to be a money problem really.

I dont know whether make an appointment with the head to see if there is anything we can do, ive never been that involved with the school before and im quite a shy person but i really think there must be a way to get some fundraising.

Bluebell99 Mon 18-Jul-11 22:08:44

My son's yr 6 pgl 4 night activity holiday cost £350! So how long was the trip for? Our school's year 6 trip is looked forward to for years.

worldgonemad72 Mon 18-Jul-11 22:12:27

it was for 4 nights, mon to fri, they do all sorts when there, canoeing, rock climbing, abseiling, archery, orienteering. The school have funded the rest of the cost but they are unable to contribute more, which is understandable in the current economy.

worldgonemad72 Mon 18-Jul-11 22:19:34

Just a thought, would the head think i was some weird meddling mums if i made an appointment to see him about it?

spiderpig8 Tue 19-Jul-11 16:53:55

how come the price varies so much.My DD is going next year to an LEA run outdoor activities centre and it's £230 per child.How is it fair that it's so much cheaper for OPs child ?

LIZS Tue 19-Jul-11 16:56:33

Perhaps they could arrange a day trip or overnight instead ?

hocuspontas Tue 19-Jul-11 16:56:44

I'm amazed at the low cost. Are the school already subsidising it? Or is it in the depths of winter when no one else wants to go? What a shame about the low take-up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now