Talk

Advanced search

Early Years Eye Profile Pupil Sheet

(33 Posts)
sarahken Mon 18-Jul-11 20:59:14

Hi everyone. Have just received my son's first school report, he's in reception class. I am totally confused as to what any of it means. There was no explanation to the scores and as he is my PFB as I have no experience of what is expected at his age. I'm only familiar with SATS levels as I sat them at school myself. Is it a score out of 10? He was given, 6 x 8's, 6 x 9's and 1 x5, total of 107. Won't be able to get into school before the end of term to ask, does anyone have any experience of this method of report? Thanks in advance smile

lulurose Mon 18-Jul-11 21:08:47

6 is average (national expected level)
7-8 above av
9 exceptional, rarely achieved

sarahken Mon 18-Jul-11 21:23:27

thanks hun, obviously gets his brains from me grin

mummymilky Tue 19-Jul-11 09:10:27

lulurose is 9 really exceptional and rarely achieved? DD1 has just finished Reception with eleven 9s and 2 8s. Very proud!

lovecheese Tue 19-Jul-11 09:19:28

Not a teacher but don't think it's unusual.

wheresthepimms Tue 19-Jul-11 12:58:17

9 can't be that unusual can it? My DD has just finished nursery with 3 9s the rest are 7 and 8 I don't think she is that far ahead, although as DC no 4 she does pick things up off the other 3. Her 9s were all in the physical and social emotional areas (maybe she shares well as she has too, the others are all bigger than her at homegrin)

lulurose Tue 19-Jul-11 17:40:17

More commonly achieved in PSED, KUW, PD and CD. Much more of a challenge to achieve in CLL and MD in my experience.

Confused re your post wheresthepimms as the point scores are a summative assessment at the end of Reception and should never be used in Nursery, even at the end of the year.

wheresthepimms Tue 19-Jul-11 18:46:54

that is why I got home and googled them as never had them with the other 3 so thought what is this new thing. But they have outlined the whole point scoring and where they are as "apparently" the local schools have asked for nursery to pass them on confused I honestly do not believe the scores, yes I would love to believe my DD is a child genius but I don't personally believe she is. She has however lived in 3 different countries, traveled a lot of the world and has the benefit of 3 older siblings to share (argue) with.

wheresthepimms Tue 19-Jul-11 19:00:19

lulurose have now read your comment have just gone back and looked at the report and it is on headed council paper as an end of year transfer record, another page tells us a copy is sent to their new reception class and that it is so they can asses how much progress is made during their reception year. Also states that you can expect the same type of report at the end of reception. Maybe the LEA here is concerned about nursery settings or reception class progress.

lulurose Tue 19-Jul-11 19:39:38

Interesting stuff, never heard of this being done before, "most" children enter Reception at point 3/4/5...be interesting to see how her R teacher will deal with this data, she/he will sure have their work cut out adding value!

mrz Tue 19-Jul-11 19:50:03

wheresthepimms I would treat the report with caution as a reception teacher I have received many such reports from nurseries and have yet to meet the child who fulfils the (QCA) criteria for awarding the points when they first enter reception. The profiles are not intended for nursery age children (for a very good reason).
Could it be that your LA has produced their own nursery version using age appropriate expectations rather than the official EYFS profile?

wheresthepimms Tue 19-Jul-11 21:41:45

Mrz yes am treating with caution. Do have here whole learning journey, I don't think, from what I can find, that they have amended it to nursery settings. I know my DD and I know that she is ready for reception but if you took the report at face value it suggests she should skip straight to year 1. Being DC no 4 I know that is not the case and am very suspicious of the report, of course DH thinks his little princess is a genius grin but I am the one that spends time with her, and the other 3, and I know she is a normal 4 year old who can kinda read a few words, scribble on paper (in a girl way rather than boy scrawl) and has an over active imagination. She will learn a lot from reception, like how to be quiet for more than 2 seconds, and I personally think she will be average by the end of reception. It just worries me that others mums, maybe with pfb, will think it is proof of their wonderful DC and be upset when next year they don't make too much progress. I also think that box ticking and report grading in nursery is a very dangerous road to go down, when do our DCs get to be normal, playful kids?

mrz Wed 20-Jul-11 07:29:31

My own LA has produced their own nursery assessment which is expected to feed into the profile when children enter reception and agree with your tick box point totally.

sarahken Wed 20-Jul-11 21:56:51

My son was at the same school for Nursery and we were never given one of these reports, this is the first my son has had and what I understand from the website these are for children of reception age. My son got 4x 9's and 1 x8 in the literacy part and 2x9 and 1x8 in the numeracy, so he got all the 9's he scored from those parts. The 8's were for the rest of the categories. He is a really good reader for his age, and they did tell us he was around 2 years ahead. I was just unsure what the scores mean. They definately need to include a sheet for guidance on these reports, instead of assuming we are all teachers.

MammyT Wed 20-Jul-11 22:16:45

9 is exceptional I think.. I don't think anyone in my child's class got a single 9.

The comment for numeracy said that my child achieved everything on the Early Years curriculum - she got an 8. Ditto for literacy where she is reading 2 years ahead of her group.

Far more important is the commentary and how much the child likes school and learning.

sarahken Wed 20-Jul-11 22:45:28

On my son's first parents evening they gave him quite a negative report surrounding his lack of independence, social skills and not wanting to listen. It seemed like a totally different child to the one I knew and I came away quite cross. I think it was a fact wanting he was desperate to learn, he was so keen to learn to read and write and was so sick of going to school to 'play'. He'd been in nursery with the school for 18mths and was one of the oldest in his class and I think his boredom was misinterpreted. He would refuse to go in a morning because he said that he could play at home.
Now the class is more geared up to learning his has come on leaps and bounds and can't wait to get to school.

lulurose Thu 21-Jul-11 19:43:32

What a huge shame, young children learn enormous amounts through good quality play opportunities. It should never be "just play" in Reception. Formalised learning in the EYFS is a no go, plenty of time for that later.

mrz Thu 21-Jul-11 20:04:42

The new EYFS talks a lot about school readiness

lulurose Thu 21-Jul-11 22:07:16

It does yes and I agree with much of what Sarah Teather said in her review, just hope less experienced EYFS teachers don't interpret it as a green light to teach a watered down Y1 curriculum. School readiness is so much more than holding a pencil, filling in answers on a sheet etc

Very happy with greater focus on PSD.

EvilTwins Thu 21-Jul-11 22:12:23

EYFS profiles can be downloaded here

Tells you what a DC needs to demonstrate to get each level.

Oggy Thu 21-Jul-11 22:54:17

Those discussing 9s being exceptional versus children getting lots of them. Depend son the school.

My childrens school makes a point of assessing them within the EYFS (and not Y1), so no one will get 9 as it falls outside of it.

Other schools may also take that approach.

wheresthepimms Fri 22-Jul-11 07:54:32

If it is teacher assessment, this may sound controversial, but would you not want as a teacher to score them highly to show how good you are? I really wonder what was wrong with children going to school, having fun, maybe learning a bit and not having to tick boxes to say how well we are all doing. There is also a lot more than reading and writing to being a good person, why can't we teach them to tie laces, say thank you without being reminded and expect some respect for adults

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 08:41:58

wheresthepimms sadly it does happen. The EYFS profile is moderated however so it should be identified. It also states that assessment should not be of the "tick box" kind and that the teacher should develop a clear picture of the child over time...hmm

wheresthepimms Fri 22-Jul-11 10:14:13

mrz I feel you and I are kindred spirits. I trust little of the teacher assessment at some schools my DCs have been to and then at others I trust it completely. DS(7) went to a school (only for 3 weeks due to bullying from the teachers) and was assessed he then moved school and was assessed again, completely different scores, more in line with the results of his SAT tests. Other parents at the original school who have now moved have found similar, we feel they may be assessing low so that they get extra value added points later on shock One main reason, I feel, why assessment and box ticking type assessment (even when not supposed to be) should not be used but what do you use instead?

mrz Fri 22-Jul-11 15:19:15

A good teacher will be continually assessing all the children automatically and know their class well without needing to tick boxes. The boxes are for "accountability" ... do they mean that children are taught better? or do they mean that some individuals resort to manipulation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now