Talk

Advanced search

Negative progress in year 4

(11 Posts)
eggandcress Mon 18-Jul-11 16:45:23

my DD has just got her report for the end of year 4 and she has gone down two sub levels in reading . How could this be possible, I have called her school and it is not a typing error. At the end of year 3 she got 4c now she has been given 3b. I did not think it was possible to go down but the teacher said she was assessed externally this time which is why it is lower. Her writing is the same as the end of year 3 - 3a which means she has made no progress at all. Her maths has gone up one subset to 3c since year 3. I send her to extra maths so that might explain the tiny improvement. My feeling is she could have stayed at home for the year and just gone to extra maths. Please could you advise, I would be very grateful as I am very concerned at the lack of progress.

lovecheese Mon 18-Jul-11 17:07:50

Assessed externally? Why?

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 17:14:28

Assessed Externally - She's probably talking about optional SATS.

Does it feel to you like your DD has made no progress? Is her writing really the same as it was a year ago? Is she reading harder books at home?

I would be very concerned. But it depends what you think about the school, and how happy your child is, and what teacher you're getting next year, and whether moving is a choice......

eggandcress Mon 18-Jul-11 18:05:03

It is right what you are saying, she is definitely reading more challenging books now, far more advanced than the end of year 3.
Also her writing has improved a lot so I was surprised by that level as well
They were optional SATS

Do you think it is the teaching?

At the start of year 4, they set the classes according to their maths ability and because at the end of year 3 she was weak at maths she was in the lower class. The whole of her reading group were in the higher class. She was therefore working with children who were not at her level to start with. It seems now they have been homogenised over the year.

Do you think this could happen?

eggandcress Tue 19-Jul-11 09:48:12

Very worried about DD please help

loulou4 Tue 19-Jul-11 10:34:00

mmmm, we had a similar thing at the end of year 4 ..... went back down to a year 2 level! I blame (100%) the teacher - absolutely no connection whatsoever or plan of action to remedy! I would recommend a meeting with the new teacher and / or head to ask what processes are being put in place to review your child and ensure grades pick up nxt year. And keep on their case. Arrange to meet once a term for an update/ progress review. Bear in mind though, that all children develop at different rates - it might be that she has been on catch up mode this year and next year she could flourish!

eggandcress Tue 19-Jul-11 10:43:10

Thank you loulou4 it is good to hear more stories like mine.

I am also concerned she may have ADD, she is a bright child but so easily distracted etc. It is hard work to get her to focus. The teacher she had for year 4 was young and not very experienced which does not help. I am starting the ball rolling to get her assessed for this. Well I have made an appointment with the GP anyway!

I have also set up meeting for September with head and new class teacher

thebeansmum Tue 19-Jul-11 14:32:22

eggandcress - has this year's teacher not mentioned anything to you all year regards concerns about lack of progress/regression? All year? If you are reading the report and it's all a surprise, I can only imagine how upset and worried you must be feeling.

Look forward to a more positive Y5, be very honest with the Head and new teacher at the meeting, do you know anything about the new teacher?

eggandcress Tue 19-Jul-11 14:43:10

thebeansmum - this was what I found staggering - the report was so generic it could have been someone else's child. I think the report must have been written before the levels were collated. No mention was made in the report of her having slipped down two sub levels.

All year the teacher has been saying she is 4c in reading but now on a separate sheet inside the report was the 3b

I am very worried about next year I know nothing about the new class teacher

Teachermumof3 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:34:32

All year the teacher has been saying she is 4c in reading but now on a separate sheet inside the report was the 3b

It sounds like they have given you her test score from the end of year Optional SATs rather than the teacher assessment. If the teacher thinks she is working at a 4c, but she only scored 3b in the test for whatever reason (panicked/missed questions out/misunderstood) then that's not entirely the teacher's fault. Make an appointment to go and see the teacher to discuss it.

I did not think it was possible to go down

I have certainly put children down a sublevel or even two when they first started my class if they were send up with inflated and inaccurate levels from the previous teacher.

eggandcress Wed 20-Jul-11 13:26:56

Thank you Teachermumof3 - I think you are right re the test - she has a visual impaiment and it turns out the test paper was not blown up for her which would have influenced her mark.

I have spoken to the headteacher about this and we will look into it in September.

I also think her maths mark was definately inflated at the end of year 3, the tutors at the maths centre she goes to were suprised she had been given this mark.

Do you think it is possible to go up half a subset but not be quite ready to go up a full subset?

PS Your message has really helped me to stop worrying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now