Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Is it normal for TA's to cover for a part time teacher?

(11 Posts)
rockyracoon Mon 18-Jul-11 16:20:21

Hi I am new to posting on mumsnet but need some advice.
DD teacher next year is part time and on one afternoon a week the TA will be covering for the class. Is this usual?

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 16:23:46

Yes, this is very normal - if the TA is a HLTA.

All teachers get 1 half day off a week for PPA, and in lots of schools HLTAs cover then.

rockyracoon Mon 18-Jul-11 16:25:43

Ah thanks very much for the info. Things have changed somewhat since I was at school!
Does the teacher have to be on the premises though?

clam Mon 18-Jul-11 16:45:00

On the premises: depends. Is up to the Head Teacher.
You say the teacher is going to be part-time. 4 and a half days a week with haf a day for PPA is full-time. Or is there another teacher in the mix with a job-share setup?

rockyracoon Mon 18-Jul-11 16:49:59

From what we understand there will be 2 teachers working a total of 4.5 days between them. Unless as you say the one afternoon is for planning.
Thanks for all the info- all very useful.

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 16:52:22

Sounds like they have been timetabled to have planning together - which obviously makes sense.

All teachers work a max of 4.5 days. They normally give the HLTA a class to teach which the teacher doesn't like and the HLTA does...... ( PE, Art, French... whatever your teacher chooses)

rockyracoon Mon 18-Jul-11 16:54:37

Thank you all for you replies!

Teachermumof3 Mon 18-Jul-11 18:04:56

Many classes actually have an HLTA (a TA who has been on a course) covering at least half a day a week so that the class teacher can have their PPA time. In many cases, HLTAs cover absence through illness and courses, too.

My friend was extremely impressed when she'd visited her daughter's new school and was told that all PPA/absence was covered by qualified staff and was very critical of my children's school where it's covered by TAs. On further investigation, it turned out that 'qualified staff' meant HLTAs who are qualified to cover, but they weren't actually teachers as she'd thought.

Clayhead Mon 18-Jul-11 18:07:04

My dcs school is the same - HTLAs cover PPA.

I personally prefer the TA to cover the odd half day absence too rather than a supply teacher - the TA knows the school and all the children so they seem to get more done and have more continuity if it's done this way. Lots on the playground disagree though!

Teachermumof3 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:13:37

My school uses regular supply teacher to cover PPA; they know the children and the routine and they are brilliant.

Teachermumof3 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:14:38

Sorry, that should be a regular supply teacher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: