Talk

Advanced search

KS2 Writing SATs is gone for next year!

(11 Posts)
IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 15:36:28

Sats tests shift more to teacher assessment

The review called for the English creative writing test to be replaced by a composition which will be assessed by teachers, rather than outside markers.

Lord Bew's proposals, published last month and now formally accepted by ministers, will mean that part of the externally-marked testing for English will stop from next year.

In terms of school accountability, league table results will include a rolling three-year average, which is intended to present a more rounded picture, rather than a single snapshot of one year.

There will also be an emphasis on pupils' progress - showing how much they have improved. This will include a distinction between the results of pupils who have been at the school for at least two years - and those who are new arrivals.

madamehooch Mon 18-Jul-11 15:50:29

The damage has already been done in this house I'm afraid!

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 19:09:38

Is no one else pleased?

I thought everyone would be jumping for joy.

teacherwith2kids Mon 18-Jul-11 19:16:22

Still - as far as I can see - to be assessed from a single 'on the day' piece of writing rather than proper teacher assessment over a range of writing during a period of time.

So still the same 'high stakes' test, just marked in school not externally. And a new test of spelling, grammar and goodness knows what else.

So not exactly something to get as excited about as a proper shift to teacher assessment (as done for KS1 - teacher assessment with some 'standard' pieces of writing acting as input to that overall level) would have been...

ElbowFan Mon 18-Jul-11 19:45:06

Yay!! About time too.
From what I've seen the marking of this years writing has left a lot to be desired.
Would that KS2 followed the lead of KS1 and just used the tests for confirmation of teacher assessment.

Thanks for flagging this IndigoBell smile

mercibucket Mon 18-Jul-11 19:47:20

so love the idea of 'creative writing' and 'test' being used in the same sentence hmm
good - i'm glad it's gone but it would be better if the whole lot of KS 2 tests went with it

letthembe Mon 18-Jul-11 21:04:48

Here, here mercibucket.

Oh that is good news!! smile

TalkinPeace2 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:17:58

delighted for those still to go through but too late for my kids
DH just wants Science to be back in the Teacher Assessment list.

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 21:36:18

Science is teacher assessed. confused

TalkinPeace2 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:47:27

Indigo
I know. DS brought his SATs home today.
But as it is not part of the league tables, the schools who are not sciency do it in a pretty half arsed way.
I've seen my kids incorrect work ticked because the teacher assumed they would know the answer because of what DH does !!!

startail Tue 19-Jul-11 00:07:06

Not sure if I'm pleased. Certainly there have been some unbelievably uninspiring questions and some pretty doggy marking.

However, if it wasn't for school panicking about SATs grades DD1 would not have had her dyslexia recognised by the primary school and therefore have the support she now receives at secondary.

Not sure what kind of example it sets to DD2 and everyone else going into Y6. The government can't sort out how to mark your writing tests properly so they've given uphmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now