Talk

Advanced search

Sorry teacher's another KS1 sat query.

(8 Posts)
blonde79 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:41:58

For a child to be given a teacher assesment level of 3 do they need to sit a level 3 paper?
ds has been awarded all 3's but I do not think he sat level 3 papers.

treesinthebreeze Mon 18-Jul-11 14:45:58

Usually they do, yes. How do you know he hasn't? Has he just sat one paper? It may be that his teacher was confident that was was a level 3 so didn't make him do the level 2 paper - which is correct btw.

blonde79 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:53:46

I don't know. maybe I should ask the teacher. Just don't know if it would be a bit pfb. I do know that with numeracy which is his strongest subject he took 2 papers one morning. Than in the afternoon repeated what he consider to be the easiest one. Maybe I am selling him short but I am starting to doubt these levels. Especiall in writing which is at times not very legible. Plus has needed quite alot of help with comprehension homework.

blonde79 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:54:08

Thank you trees.

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 14:59:41

But his level is based on teacher's assessment - not what he got in the SATs paper they take to help the teacher arrive at their assessment.

Just be glad he got a L3.

Handwriting does not need to be legible to get a L3. (Although normally would be legible - but not necessarily neat - unless he uses a scribe or a computer)

If he's doing 'comprehension homework' sounds like he really is a L3.

lovecheese Mon 18-Jul-11 15:01:47

Is he at an infants or primary school?

blonde79 Mon 18-Jul-11 15:09:18

School goes up to year 4. I think all children have been given comprehension homework.
Am I right therefore in assuming that to award a level 3 school would need plenty of evidence including a good performance in the actual tests.

IndigoBell Mon 18-Jul-11 15:21:44

End of Y2 some children can't even read - I really hope they haven't been given comprehension homework.

You do not need to get a L3 in the SAT tests to be awarded a L3. My school does the tests in January!

But the teacher would need plenty of evidence, and the KS1 results can be externally moderated....... so the school will be very keen to make sure the evidence is all there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now