Talk

Advanced search

Why are sub-levels beyond level 2 not reported to parents?

(16 Posts)
lovecheese Mon 18-Jul-11 09:37:19

Just an idle thought whilst I waste an hour get my head around Monday.

I wouldn't ask school BTW, as it would make not one jot of difference to my DD's life, but am just curious. Thanks.

lovecheese Mon 18-Jul-11 17:14:08

Anyone ? I know - or at least I think I am correct in saying - that the sub-level gets passed on to the year 3 teacher, but can't see why parents are not told.

karma22 Mon 18-Jul-11 17:28:58

It's up to the school. We tell our parents from 2-6. If you ask then I imagine there will be levels in place though.

mrz Mon 18-Jul-11 17:38:15

We don't report any levels except in Y2 and Y6 as required by SATs...

Taffeta Mon 18-Jul-11 18:02:41

I've just had DS's report (Y2) and whilst on the front page,which is teacher assessment based on SATs, he has straight 3's, on the subsequent sheets ( NB not effort which are A/B/C/D ) he has sub levels for the 3's for Reading, Writing and Numeracy.

signet Mon 18-Jul-11 18:40:26

We had sub levels reported on DDs level 3s for her y2 SATS this year and have continued to have sub levels reported at the end of each year for DS who is now at the end of Y4.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 18-Jul-11 21:26:27

Because your school has decided not to. We get sub-levels reported twice a year, every year. But we are in an area with a history of poor attainment and the Head is on a mission to raise standards. Detailed reporting of progress is a policy decision, to support that goal. (And appears to be working, thankfully!)

lovecheese Mon 18-Jul-11 22:11:56

Taffeta - what do you mean as straight threes?

AChickencalledKorma - So I am within my rights to ask for the sub-levels? it's a bit late in the day as they finish on Wednesday, but I would like to know at the beginnng of year 3.

Why the cloak and dagger approach in some schools?? I just don't get it. I try to encourage and support my DD's as best as I can and I would like to be told where my child stands at the end of year 2. Surely the freedom of information act would be on my side here?

Fizzylemonade Mon 18-Jul-11 22:27:27

We get sub-levels reported and the children even know what they are before we get the reports. This starts at year 1.

Our school reports are broken right down, for example with telling the time they mark a box if they can tell o'clock, then half past, quarter to and quarter past. It helps us as parents see where they may need a bit of help at home.

It also breaks down the times tables they know and those they don't. As a parent I appreciate this.

We have a very detailed sheet that comes with the report that shows us what levels are expected in what years and how they grade progress. So typically,

no movement of a sub-level from the start of the year to the end is regarded as poor progress,
one-sub level is satisfactory,
2 sub-levels is good
more than 2 is excellent.

Our school is an outstanding on Ofsted, has been for years.

mogmum Tue 19-Jul-11 14:32:18

Sorry to hijack this thread but Fizzylemonade thank you as you have answered a question I had that I was going to post about with regards to sub-level progression within a year.
My DD Yr 2 has moved 2 sublevels from yr1 to yr2 and I was wondering if this is ok, which it is!
Thank you

Taffeta Tue 19-Jul-11 15:50:17

lovecheese - I mean it just says all 3s on the front page, which looks like the statutory bit for the end of KS1. I think this is the SATs scores, mixed with teacher assessment.

The other scores within, which have more detailed sublevels, seem to be "extra" information.

lovecheese Tue 19-Jul-11 16:29:16

Right, with you. My DD's school do not report level 3 sub-levels to parents, guess will find out tomorrow if she even has any 3's ! (I'm guessing she will as she had 2b's and a 2a at the end of year 1)

Elibean Tue 19-Jul-11 17:33:32

dd's school report doesn't give grades at all - just 'below expectation for national levels', 'reached expectation etc' and 'above expectation'.

You have to ask if you want more detail, I think.

I quite like it this way!

lovecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 15:16:24

<< She got a 4 for literacy! shock>>

molk Wed 20-Jul-11 16:00:07

Well done lovecheese jr. That is fantastic.

mebigmomma Wed 20-Jul-11 20:20:02

My daughter got a 2a for her KS2 SATs I have just got her yr4 report and she is now a 3, they have suddenly stopped reporting the sub levels...weird....so I checker through her work books and she has a 3c written their. Should I be worried? Two years in junior school and only 1 sub level...as a parent what should I do??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now