Talk

Advanced search

when dcs are reading to you, how much help is too much?

(8 Posts)
griffalo2 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:18:07

Sometimes when ds is reading to me he spends ages on one word or sound and starts getting high frequency words wrong.i end up prompting and helping lots even though I know he would be able to read it , I then have to re read page again so he understands story.
Tonight he whizzed through book without any help,even blended some of the words in his head without any help from me.i was so pleased I praised him after every sentence- is that too much?
Im wondering if he reads with so much confidence at school.
How much help should I be giving,how much do you give?
Im pretty sure its his confidence sometimes,he used to look at me after reading every word.

Hassled Sun 17-Jul-11 21:21:12

I think whatever you do is fine as long as
a) you keep it an enjoyable experience for him and not some anxious nightmare
b) you keep at a pace where he's enjoying the story, because that's the carrot on the stick you need, and
c) you're not actually doing all the work.

If he's struggling over a word you know he knows, just say it. He's more likely to remember it next time in any case. It has to be fun, because once you lose the desire to learn you're stuffed.

griffalo2 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:28:22

Im just bit worried hes going to expect it all the time and get lazy,ending with me reading whole book for him,

letthembe Sun 17-Jul-11 21:43:51

At the start of a reading session (my own and members of my class) with a quick recap of decoding strategies. Sometimes a quick blast through a phonics grid (60 seconds) or a visual reminder of b/d. Perhaps any tricky words or phonemes that are currently causing a problem. It sounds a lot but I vary it so it only takes 2 mins.
I have a system where a child taps the book if they want help with the word. We then go back to the start of the sentence and they read the word this time. If it still causes a problem, it will become a focus word. If a book is causing an error of more than 10% it is too hard. I don't really count unusual names in the count.
With my own children we often read a page each (longer chapter books now), it helps with the overall comprehension of a text and models reading skills (I pretend to make mistakes and decode words etc). Or the children read the direct speech etc.
After reading we also always recap events, make prediction and clarify any misconceptions.
Lots of specific praise - I like the way you read ... Well done you read ... properly today ... I like the way you read mum's speech etc.
Make it relaxing, comfortable and fun.

Griffalo - How old is he?

griffalo2 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:57:43

Hes 5,
Do u get them to re read whole sentence again if struggling on word?
Whilst hes reading and gets a word wrong but carries on with sentence,do I stop him and go back.
Also with plural he sometimes/most of the time misses the 's' off.i feel bad for correcting him when he done well blending the word

letthembe Sun 17-Jul-11 22:23:47

I only do it if it is an odd word that I have to tell them or an unusual one.

The dropping the s, could be a speed thing - rushing onto the next word. You don't need to correct everything, he will become despondent.

At 5, I would focus on keep it positive, short and quite fun. Don't push him if he really doesn't want to read. I made a few mistakes getting my son to read when he was 5 - learnt my lesson and took a different approach with my DD.

griffalo2 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:44:43

Ok,thank you for your help.i like idea of running through sounds first,he enjoys doing that.I pretend I dont know them and ask him to 'teach' me.
He really enjoys words,hes always pointing ones out that he knows in posters etc,on way to school he sounds out a word to me and I have to blend it,we take turns,he loves it.he would sit for hours with me reading to him if I could.i just hope it carries on this way

letthembe Sun 17-Jul-11 22:51:14

He sounds as if he doing well and the things you are doing sound great - fun, varied and linked to the real world (posters). I love reading books to children - my own and a class reader - just love it. Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now