Talk

Advanced search

3a sats

(10 Posts)
skybluepearl Sat 16-Jul-11 19:37:51

trying to work out when an average kid would hit 3a? son got a 3a.

do they move up one and a half sub levels a year?

diabolo Sat 16-Jul-11 19:45:50

End of Y4 requirement is a 3b, they are expected to be a 3a by Christmas in Year 5 (according to Government guidelines my school works from)

skybluepearl Sat 16-Jul-11 19:46:32

fab - thanks diablo

Marne Sat 16-Jul-11 19:46:46

Dd1 got 3a's (i think, waiting for teacher to give me her resaults) in year 2, according to her school report she is above average and most of her class are working at level 2b. So level 3 should be year 3? (i could be wrong, still trying to get my head around it all).

Marne Sat 16-Jul-11 19:47:14

ok, cross post, i was wrong grin.

NearlySpring Sun 17-Jul-11 08:22:49

My daughters sats results were given to us yesterday. She got 3 for all of them. Does anyone know why it just says 3 and not 3a 3b or 3c, do they move up from a 3 to a 3a or is 3 above 3a? Confused smile

spanieleyes Sun 17-Jul-11 08:34:01

If this is from year 2 SATs TESTS, there are no subdivisions for a level 3 given, just for level 2's ( although as mentioned on another thread schools rarely give a level 3 unles it is a very secure level 3) However teacher assements of level 3 can be sublevelled. Depends what you have been given.

NearlySpring Sun 17-Jul-11 08:39:49

Ah I see. I know my daughter definitely did the says tests, do you think they would have given us teachers assessment levels rather than the real results? Is that the norm?

spanieleyes Sun 17-Jul-11 08:47:50

Teacher assessments ARE the real results! Tests in year 2 in theory should play only a small part in the assessment process, it is the teacher assessment that is paramount

Devexity Sun 17-Jul-11 09:09:33

A breakdown of how the levels work against year groups 2-6 can be found here. A 3a is at the high end of expected levels for year 4 and in the middle for year 5.

Re: Level 3. The school reports only a whole level 3 to county, but their internal assessments are sub-levelled. DS's school gave us both sets of data. I imagine yours will too if you ask for it - am not sure how you can meaningfully assess Y3 progress without it.

Here's another county's explanation of 'average' attainment by year group:

YEAR GROUP Average Level
Year 2 2b
Year 3 2a/3c
Year 4 3b
Year 5 3a/4c
Year 6 4b

Copied from this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now