Talk

Advanced search

Seal project? What is it??

(6 Posts)
madasamarchhare Sat 16-Jul-11 19:20:25

Apparently my child is following this at school during PSED lessons. I know nothing about it. Can anyone tell me what it involves???

teacherwith2kids Sat 16-Jul-11 19:33:41

SEAL - social and emotional aspects of learning. Google it (though it is now archived, as it was part of the National Strategies website).

Basically, it's an off-the-shelf government programme to address the 'personal social citizenship etc education' curriculum. There are 6 themes (e.g. Changes, Good to be Me) and resources to deliver each theme to each age group. Each theme can start and end with a whole-school assembly. There are also some 'whole school' resources that are common across the age groups, and potentially some to be used with families and the wider community but I've never seen those ones used...

Like any 'scheme' it has the potential to be deadly if taught 'from the book'. My school uses it, and I cherry-pick the best ideas and integrate some other individualised ones when planning PSHCE for my class.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sat 16-Jul-11 22:09:05

I will be teaching this to y4 next year in PPA time. Am a bit concerned about the deadly 'It's week 3; we must do page 14' aspect.

LawrieMarlow Sat 16-Jul-11 22:15:45

At DC's school they have SEAL weeks every so often culminating in a whole school assembly that parents are invited to. It was Changes a couple of weeks ago (which fits in quite well with the time of year).

Each class seems to approach it in a slightly different way, but they are all connected through the theme.

teacherwith2kids Sun 17-Jul-11 10:41:43

UnSerpent,

That's exactly the problem I have with it - also that some of the 'lessons' are very very short and others are exceptionally long. I use it as a 'resource bank', not as 'lesson plans', and am flexible about building in to it issues that are specific to my class and our school.... probably not how it's 'meant' to be used but it works for me.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 17-Jul-11 21:43:31

Yes, I will need to study the file over the summer. My headteacher was teaching it in ppa time this year, but stopped when she wasn't sure how to address the sex education bit. So she has passed it on to me for next year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now