Talk

Advanced search

"In this respect" am I reading too much into school report?

(4 Posts)
create Sat 16-Jul-11 18:57:00

DS1 yr 5

The teacher comments start with "DS1 has been particualrly considerate to other children on the playground this year and in this respect he has been a good role model."

It's lovely actually, because his early school years were a bit of a struggle socially and this year he seems to have gathered a nice bunch of friends who seem to genuinely like him smile

But, I read that line a thought, oh, so in every other respect he's a poor role model.. blush

letthembe Sat 16-Jul-11 22:43:50

Perhaps you are mis-reading this. I wonder if the teacher was trying to refer to his social progress and should have written "has become" rather than "has been".

cloudydays Sat 16-Jul-11 22:50:59

It think that she was just making it clear that she's continuing on with the same point (he is a good role model because he's considerate) rather than making two seperate ones (that he's considerate and he's a good role model).

I don't think she's making a point of saying he's not a good role model in any other way. He is the peer of the other kids, right? If so, it would be kind of weird to just say he's a good role model to them, without specifying an area in which he models exceptionally good qualities / behaviour!

BTW being considerate and kind is a lovely thing to be recognised for - your ds sounds lovely smile

cloudydays Sat 16-Jul-11 22:51:46

Sorry, should have said "she or he" as you didn't mention teacher's gender blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now