Talk

Advanced search

Welsh language reading books for boys

(6 Posts)
walesblackbird Sat 16-Jul-11 10:39:00

Not sure where to post this so will try local as well.

I have a 10 year old son who attends Welsh school and whilst his English reading is fine and where it should be he is a little behind in his Welsh reading. And it's because he doesn't enjoy the books that school provide him with and frankly I'm not surprised. They're all ancient and truly boring.

He needs something to capture his imagination - in English he's reading the Beast Quest books and loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I'm looking for something similar but in Welsh. I'm not a Welsh speaker but dh is and it's all changed from his day so he's at a bit of a loss as well.

Any ideas anyone?

Chipotle Sat 16-Jul-11 10:41:31

I've nothing to add just yet... But posting so I can find the thread again. I'm not Welsh but DH and his family are and are Welsh speakers. SIL is a teacher in a small Welsh primary school so I'll ask her later and get back to you.

MrsGravy Sat 16-Jul-11 10:48:34

Hi walesblackbird, have you tried the library? Ours has a really good selection of welsh books for all ages and some of them are translations of English books so they might well have something like the Beast Quest books but in welsh. Other than that, try these websites:

http://www.ylolfa.com/
www.gomer.co.uk

Also Amazon has quite a lot of welsh books on it.

Sorry I can't recommend anything specific as my kids are still young and on stuff like 'Sali Mali'!!

walesblackbird Sat 16-Jul-11 16:40:32

Thanks both. I'll have a look at those sites - not being a Welsh speaker it's a little difficult knowing what's what and dh doesn't seem to have much of a clue either!

Silly me hadn't thought of Amazon .... duh blush

Chipotle Sun 17-Jul-11 16:46:08

My SIL says you can get Harry Potter in Welsh from Amazon. Harri Potter for the search. She said you can't really go wrong with Harry/i Potter, especially if they're Welsh isn't brilliant because thy already know the story.

Takver Sun 17-Jul-11 17:36:15

Rily do quite a good selection of popular books translated into Welsh (Roald Dahl & the like). Looking at their site, I can see the 2nd Beast Quest book here though I suspect you may find that they are starting with the early ones so your ds will have read all those translated. (Annoyingly, they only started on the Rainbow magic books well after dd had grown out of them!) They also have translations of Anthony Horowitz books if he likes them.

Would definitely agree with the library as a good place to start, ours is very small but still has a pretty good selection.

Might also be worth having a word with school? I know that what is available is more limited than in English, but it really isn't that bad, dd's school seems to have a fair selection. Maybe what they need is for a bit of fundraising for some new books smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now