Talk

Advanced search

Please could someone explain the EYFS "Attainment Summary" from DS' report for me please?

(8 Posts)
theotherboleyngirl Fri 15-Jul-11 23:45:57

erm, I've tried googling and to be honest I still don't understand

there are 6 areas, and understand those, and then a scale ranging from 1-9. What's average? What is expected at the end of YR?

thank you!

NoWittyName Sat 16-Jul-11 16:13:58

Expectation for end of YR is 6/7. Have you just been given a number for each, or do they show you statements?

theotherboleyngirl Sat 16-Jul-11 21:12:40

Thank you. There is a number for each and then a total. It doesn't massively correlate with the written report, so I just wondered what 'average' was.

norksinmywaistband Sat 16-Jul-11 21:14:35

Ours said that anything between 4-8 was expected range and 9 was above expectations.

youarekidding Sat 16-Jul-11 21:20:40

6 is expected level. Children who achieve a 6 are projected to reach expected level by end of yr 2 (KS1) assessments. But then again we all know they do their own thing, some make more progress some experience difficulties.

There are 13 areas if you break down each area within the core ones. Did you get these?

theotherboleyngirl Sun 17-Jul-11 10:11:15

yes 13 areas each with a separate 'score' then a total. I think, from understanding it, he's done as I would have expected him to - ie. his strong areas match what I expected them to be and his weaker areas match what I expect. I just wanted to be sure his 'weaker' areas were still within the expected range and nothing to worry about. Thanks for explaining it better. It's literally just a print off with numbers etc and no explanation, and I don't want to ask the other parents as I don't want to get in to "my child got, your child got" type conversation...

ElsieMc Sun 17-Jul-11 11:40:43

My DS2'S teacher told me they expect the children to reach a 5 by the end of the first year, not a 6 or 7. Maybe it's just his school, I don't really understand.

I do wonder if they perform poorly because five out of class of fifteen are being held back in reception because they need extra assistance (no special needs pupils) so we were really pleased that he scored 6,7 and the rest 8's as I am not a pushy parent in any way.

I know some of the other parents involved are very angry and the head had to be there to support the teacher when she informed them their children would remain in reception. Is this commonplace?

mrz Sun 17-Jul-11 11:52:08

What is the difference between attainment and achievement?

A child’s achievement will depend on its individual starting point from which a value-added picture can be obtained. For example, a child’s achievement of 6+ on 10 scales(rather than all 13) at the end of the FS year may be considered good progress for that individual bearing in mind its starting point, age, interests and circumstances.

A child’s attainment compares its final score with national expectations e.g. a total point score of 78+ (6+ across all 13 scales)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now