Talk

Advanced search

anyone elses school not give assessment levels in a report at year 1?

(16 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 15-Jul-11 22:48:58

ours dont and its lovely! I got a great report detailing my sons achievements, areas to work on, pin pointing his personality, topics they had done etc and not one mention of a 1b,2a etc etc. Thank the lord.

Plenty of time for all that later hey!

megkat Fri 15-Jul-11 22:53:30

We didn't get them at Y1 but do at reception and Y2 sad

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 15-Jul-11 22:56:33

didnt get them in reception either. assume next year there will be no escape tho!

tah2 Fri 15-Jul-11 22:58:16

Im a teacher in wales so i'm not sure if it will be different if you are from england/scotland but we give out levels at the end of each key stage. So that would mean that only children in year 2 and 6 get levels as part of their report. Im pretty sure its a statutory requirement on our behalf.
I dont think i would be happy about giving them out each year as it causes unessessary competition between parents, which isn't fair on the kids.
Enjoy your little one - they grow soo fast! smile

megkat Fri 15-Jul-11 22:58:30

Well actually we just got the scores in reception - not levels as such. can't stand either - just makes me worry....

Feenie Fri 15-Jul-11 22:58:54

There is a statutory obligation to report the teacher assessment at the end of Y2 and Y6.

letthembe Sat 16-Jul-11 10:20:25

how refreshing!! Stops all the crazy gloating and then frantic panicking. I want to post somewhere that the levels are pretty subjective - especially writing...just look at the fall out from this year's Y6 writing SAT.

LynetteScavo Sat 16-Jul-11 10:23:52

We don't get them.

I'm very glad. I like hearing DD is "fantastic" and "enthusiastic" I know if I was actually faced with her levels I would cry.

Eddas Sat 16-Jul-11 10:24:16

my dd's school didn't give levels in year R or 1, first levels given this year in year 2. The more important thing to me is the actual written report from the teacher. The numbers weren't even given with an explanation anyway so I had to google to find out what they meant, which isn't really much help!!

MrsGravy Sat 16-Jul-11 10:30:58

We didn't and I'm also glad. But my DD's seems to have strayed so far from giving any kind of assessment of her abilities that I'm left clueless as to how well (or otherwise!) she's doing!

york68 Sat 16-Jul-11 10:43:25

Our doesn't give nc levels either or foundation profile numbers.

yellowkiwi Sat 16-Jul-11 10:56:35

We get them but apparently this is because there is so much parental pressure to give levels. So many parents went to see the head demanding the levels that in the end the school decided it would just be easier to give them out. It's crazy.

mankyscotslass Sat 16-Jul-11 11:29:25

Ours never give levels until YR, then they give them every year.

mankyscotslass Sat 16-Jul-11 11:30:47

Until YR2. blush

bitsyandbetty Sat 16-Jul-11 11:49:02

Year 2 and Year 6 only at ours.

bradbourne Sat 16-Jul-11 23:58:01

"not one mention of a 1b,2a etc etc. Thank the lord."

I find this attitude very strange. Why wouldn't you want to know? Chilldren go to school to be educated and I, for one, would like to see some evidence that they are actually learning something at school and making good progress for their ability. I hate the attitude from some schools that it is somehow better to withhold information about a child from his or her parents.

Discalimer: this is from a parent who feels their child has learned sweet FA in reception. (This has been pretty much confirmed by his teacher). I'll be bl**dy annoyed if the school refuse to tell me where he is "at" at the end of Yr1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now