Talk

Advanced search

School report - what does it mean

(14 Posts)
lifeistooshort Fri 15-Jul-11 16:51:37

DD has had her school report in today. Apparently she is at level 2C in literacy and in numeracy. I have no idea what it means as there are no explanatory notes. Could someone enlighten me?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 15-Jul-11 16:53:07

What year is she?

lifeistooshort Fri 15-Jul-11 16:55:33

She is 5 and at the end of Year 1. What is the point of getting reports if you aren't given the tools to undertand them. I have no idea if it is good, bad or average

TheOriginalFAB Fri 15-Jul-11 17:02:42

I have just checked my children's reports who are finishing years 1, 3 and 5. You have not been given sheets to explain year 1 and 2 as it isn't relevant, from what I can see in my children's reports.

lifeistooshort Fri 15-Jul-11 17:03:26

Any one? I have a feeling it is not very good. She is extremely bright but I have a feeling that the school isn't getting the best out of her. Is my inner feeling right?

karma22 Fri 15-Jul-11 17:04:25

A 2C at the end of year one is above average. 1B is the national average. Then 1A then 2C

bumpybecky Fri 15-Jul-11 17:07:07

2c is really good at year 1 smile

2b is the average at end of year 2 and you can expect two sub levels progress per year, so from 2c to 2a by next year

karma22 Fri 15-Jul-11 17:09:16

It's a whole level needed in year 2. So 2C translates to 3C. smile

bumpybecky Fri 15-Jul-11 17:09:21

scrap that - karma22 has just said on another thread that in year 2 you can expect a while level of progress, so I'm probably wrong about next year smile

bumpybecky Fri 15-Jul-11 17:09:41

lol not quite fast enough!

karma22 Fri 15-Jul-11 17:10:44

Sorry! It only happens for year 2. 1B national average in year 1, 2B national average in year 2 etc. smile

UpsyDozy Fri 15-Jul-11 17:10:58

My DDs school gives no levels out at all, just a written report about strengths, areas to concentrate on etc.

Is this something I should ask about? I'm not concerned with her progress.

bumpybecky Fri 15-Jul-11 17:14:38

no, levels are all a bit daft IMHO, just something else for parents to worry about

dd3's school only give levels in year 2 when they do sats.

dd1&2 are in middle school and we get lots of levels and it's all a bit baffling. Last year we had negative progress in english, despite being given an outstanding and excellent grades for effort and homework hmm

lifeistooshort Fri 15-Jul-11 17:15:22

oh thank you all. I feel a bit relieved! I know DD is a bright cookie but she is young and I am not familiar with the UK education system so I am really finding it hard to understand the reports and position DD in terms of how she is doing, where she should be etc... And to be honest the reports are not very helpful. There is no explanation of the letters (2C etc) and the comments are like she does this well but need to improve that....so you really can't tell.

Thank you so much for the reassurance and answering my stupid questions. I don't want to push DD but I just want to make sure she is challenged to her potential (whatever it is) so that she has the best chance of doing what she wants when she is older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now