Talk

Advanced search

Should I enrol DS in Reception or not?

(5 Posts)
lubberlich Fri 15-Jul-11 08:03:30

For various reasons my DS has been in and out of various nurseries and pre-schools over the last couple of years. Not by choice I have to say. Even though he has had pre-school experience since he was 2 it has not been consistent. And he has had some bad experiences with some awful places.

We are now about to relocate to the other side of the country and he is due to start Reception year in Sept.
He is very keen to go to school but I am concerned about him just getting into the swing of things only to be moved - again.
It is possible that we won't be settled into our new home till after Xmas.

The thing is - do I send him to Reception here knowing that he will be uprooted again in a few months - or do I wait a few months until we are settled?
He is an only child and we struggle to find opportunities for him to socialise because we are in a very rural area. He is longing to go to school and play with other kids (instead of me!)

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

chopchopquick Fri 15-Jul-11 08:07:12

Are you happy with the current nursery? Would it be an option to keep your Ds there until after you move? Of course this also depends when your ds' birthday is.

LIZS Fri 15-Jul-11 08:53:33

How old is he, old or young for the year ? Would his current preschools keep him ? I think otherwise you may struggle to occupy him once his peers are in school and he'd be better off socially going.

Rosebud05 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:29:14

My friend had a similar dilemma last year; her ds was due to start school in reception and she knew they'd be moving by Christmas. She was also thinking about HEing when she moved.

She liked the school, so put her son in there and moved him at Christmas when they moved. She was very happy with this decision, mainly because of the social opportunities it provided him than the academic.

lubberlich Fri 15-Jul-11 14:47:49

Thanks for your thoughts.
He's not in pre-school at the moment and hasn't been for 3 months so unfortunately keeping him on in a preschool isn't an option.

Exact same dilemma here Rosebud05 - but I think I am erring on the side of putting him into school simply because the need for him to socialise outweighs any possible fall-out from moving him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now