Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - Is it common to fake photos for EYFS books? (honesty appreciated)

(15 Posts)
Chaotica Thu 14-Jul-11 18:49:44

I saw this today: a line of children being made to go up to an activity, smile and have their photo taken, then each one was shooed away back inside. There was no actual comparable activity for them to play with. I expect the photos might turn up in an assessment.

Is this common? What would ofsted say? I am shock but maybe I am naive.

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-11 18:54:03

I don't work in EYFS. I work in Y1 but we do take photos of children doing activities. But we do them during the day as and when.

I wonder if they people concerned had noticed a big gap where they were missing key photos from their profile and this close to the end of term were just desperate to them done in time for end of term?

Just ideal at all and def not best practise. But if a one off I could forgive them.

ElbowFan Thu 14-Jul-11 19:14:08

You've assumed it would be used as 'evidence'. Its almost the end of term, all assessments would have been done and reported to parents by now surely? Might it be to show the children using equipment donated /newly purchased ... I don't know... but even if it did turn up in an assessment - would it really matter?

hocuspontas Thu 14-Jul-11 19:17:17

This has happened to me when I deleted some photos instead of printing them! I asked the children to pretend they were doing their activity again and re-took them!

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 19:18:45

Yes, but in different ways. Sometimes you can be unable to take pics during a session so might try to get one later, that might involve a bit of 'staging'. Sometimes practitioners will take a million photos of one good activity a week and use that (IMHO) in a rather misleading way to indicate they provide facilities/activities of a similar quality all the time (when they very much do not).
I've not seen anyone actually pretend children did something that they didn't at least have a five minute go at yet.

Goblinchild Thu 14-Jul-11 19:28:17

Or you set up the stuff, intending to run the activity over a couple of days, but take some photographic evidence at the beginning so that you don't have to keep remembering where the camera is, or to have an adult present, or to have all 25 photos together when you come to print them off rather than interspersed with others of different subjects?

tudorrose Thu 14-Jul-11 19:34:38

I have done this when my camera broke and I lost the original pictures. Ofsted was looming and I needed the photos as evidence, so I had to set it up in exactly the way you described.

The children thought it was funny!

tudorrose Thu 14-Jul-11 19:39:04

Oh, and some did tell the inspector when she turned up in my room as the photos were part of the display of some topic work. She just laughed.

We had spent all term on this particular history topic and the children had loved it and could talk about it with good subject knowledge.

mycatoscar Thu 14-Jul-11 20:00:44

Is this a reception class? At this time of year, all the assessments have been moderated and sent to the LEA. I can't see why they would be bothering to be falsifying evidence at this time of year.

And if it is for evidence, maybe they just forgot to take photos the previous day or earlier and thought they would just do them belatedly.

It could be for a display or part of a powerpoint to show new parents, erxamples of activities, that type of thing.

blackeyedsusan Thu 14-Jul-11 20:12:51

they could be for the year one teacher. coat peg labels? photos for books in year one that the teacher needs to prepare over summer?

Scarfmaker Fri 15-Jul-11 00:19:33

Teachers in reception class don't have to do the EYFS so it wouldn't be for that. They only have to do the summative report (profile) for a child turning five, and by this time the child will have been at a nursery or a childminder, so the teacher gains information from them.

emptyshell Fri 15-Jul-11 07:08:07

Sounds like either photos to go up to the next class, or photos to go to parents or possibly photos for a display to me. Or a newsletter or something. Lots of photographing going on this time of year for coat peg labels (like someone said) or for "we are year X" displays that will go up over the summer holidays)

Quite often you get ones of them posed with their construction model or something - or if you've got a bunch of budding supermodels - every time you try to take a photo of them engaged on a task, they spot the camera and immediately start posing and smiling (my old bunch used to be like that)!

PonceyMcPonce Fri 15-Jul-11 07:14:27

Might be for end of year card?
Dd had a teacher who gave each child a personalised card and poem!

spiderpig8 Fri 15-Jul-11 17:18:10

Unlikely I think to take the picture of 20 or 30 kids doing the same thing for OFSTED. I think they are making some little photo momento of their time in the class.

colditz Fri 15-Jul-11 17:19:42

My friend's son has a t shirt on for a "June 2010" photo that he wasn't given until his birthday this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now