Talk

Advanced search

can anybody be bothered to answer another levels question?

(18 Posts)
emkana Wed 13-Jul-11 17:58:21

year 5
Maths level 5 b
Would you say that's above, or well above average?

spanieleyes Wed 13-Jul-11 18:04:27

We say anything above 5c at the end of year 5 is "well above average"

southeasthamster Wed 13-Jul-11 18:05:14

i'm not being mean but surely by year 5 you should know what level means what

basingstoke Wed 13-Jul-11 18:06:58

Well above

DeWe Wed 13-Jul-11 18:14:07

Absolutely genius level. grin
Well, maybe not. It's the same as dd1, also year 5. I suspect in her school that it's the top grade they give year 5 as she also got it in her other subjects and I know her maths is noticably better than her English.

lovecheese Wed 13-Jul-11 18:25:15

Does it really matter?

MigratingCoconuts Wed 13-Jul-11 18:25:27

level 5 going into year 7 is considered to be above expectations...like south, I'm wondering why you wouldn't kind of know this by now...

Bonkerz Wed 13-Jul-11 18:26:53

Sorry hijack!!! Basingstoke.... Are u actually from basingstoke??? Probably a stupid question I know!!! What area in basingstoke??

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 13-Jul-11 18:33:48

Not all schools report levels in every year. Some only do so at the end of KS1 and KS2, others at those points plus the end of Y5 when the children sit their optional SATs.

It's perfectly reasonable for the OP not to understand them and the information online doesn't appear to be that reliable (I know this because I've searched myself - ds at the end of Y5)

MigratingCoconuts Wed 13-Jul-11 18:34:16

...I thought it was a reference to Gilbert and Sulivan grin

MigratingCoconuts Wed 13-Jul-11 18:35:16

fair enough Jena, that makes sense.

basingstoke Wed 13-Jul-11 18:35:52

Nope, not from basingstoke. It's a Gilbert & Sullivan thing. A bit random...

basingstoke Wed 13-Jul-11 18:36:54

X posts with the perceptive migrating coconuts. Hurrah!

MigratingCoconuts Wed 13-Jul-11 18:42:38

YEEEESS!!

<Skips around room in an over excited way>

sorry..... Basingstoke!

<clams right down again>

Jux Wed 13-Jul-11 18:43:27

I'm still not entirely sure what level is what. We got a report for dd at some point early on, but no actual explanation. At the end of KS2 they were a bit more informative, but we had our minds on other things and it didn't really sink in. DD was doing well, was in the top group for everything, so in a way it didn't matter what level was what.

She comes home from school atm, saying she got level this or that and we say jolly well done dd, proud of you, but none of it relates to anything we are familiar with - at school in the 60s/70s. We assume she's doing well academically as she's in the top groups. It's her emotional/social stuff we're more interested in, really, and that seems to be improving.

I'm not at all surprised the op doesn't know what's what.

emkana Wed 13-Jul-11 20:22:12

It's just because the school calls it above average, not well above, and I was surprised at that.

Galena Wed 13-Jul-11 22:24:51

Sometimes it depends on the school and how the other children in the class are doing. It depends whether the 'average' is the average for the class or the national average.

Sounds like your DC is doing very well!

singersgirl Wed 13-Jul-11 23:28:11

The top category on on DS2's report (also Y5) is "Level 5c or above". National expected attainment for the end of Y5 is shown as Level 3a. That's not of course the same as average attainment or even the school's average attainment. It doesn't describe it as 'above average', 'well above average' or anything - just shows it in a chart. Not sure if that is any help...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now