Talk

Advanced search

Super quick answer needed: Do schools LEGALLY have to tell parents year 2 SAT results?

(38 Posts)
lovecheese Wed 13-Jul-11 14:46:06

I know I could google/trawl through MN, but can't be arsed am pushed for time.

A one word answer will suffice. Thanks!

seeker Wed 13-Jul-11 14:47:18

Yes. Year 2 and year 6. All other years up to the school.

lovecheese Wed 13-Jul-11 14:48:04

Thankyou seeker smile

NerfHerder Wed 13-Jul-11 14:55:31

Yes, though I have known occasions where Y6 results have had to go by post after the end of term due to remarks/queries etc. No excuse for KS1 though, as they're done internally.

ing4 Wed 13-Jul-11 15:09:33

Is the same true of EYFS report?

LawrieMarlow Wed 13-Jul-11 15:12:46

I don't know if they have to give EFYS levels or not. DS's school didn't when he was in reception two years ago, but don't know if that may have changed now.

redskyatnight Wed 13-Jul-11 15:34:16

They don't actually have to tell you the SATS result in Y2 though - just the teacher assessment.

ElbowFan Wed 13-Jul-11 15:36:18

For the 'letter of the law' and a stonking good read (!) google Assessment & Reporting Arrangements 2011 and download KS1 / KS2. It tells you all you need to know and more...

neolara Wed 13-Jul-11 15:54:34

Do they have to give results for science as well as maths, reading and writing?

Feenie Wed 13-Jul-11 16:01:17

No - only the final teacher assessment has to be reported at the end of KS1, not the SAT result. Lots of evidence is used to arrive at this judgement - the tests are a small part of that. You would only given the test results if you ask, as part of the data protection act.

A whole level must be given for Science and Speaking and Listening.
Reading, writing and Maths must be divided into sublevels if level 2, or reported as a whole level for levels 1 and 3.

Re EYFS scores:

"3.6 Reporting children’s attainment to parents or persons with
parental responsibility
All EYFS providers must provide parents or persons with parental responsibility with a written summary of a child’s progress against the early learning goals and attainment within the assessment scales. A copy of the EYFS profile summary scores reported to the local authority must also be provided to parents or persons with parental responsibility if requested. Providers should avoid reporting raw scores without providing an explanation
of what they mean.

ing4 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:34:36

Thank you. I will ask for it than.

spiderpig8 Wed 13-Jul-11 17:14:09

I think under the data protection act you could demand to see their records?

Feenie Wed 13-Jul-11 17:31:41

I did say that, spiderpig. But why would anyone want to? The changes made to Y2 assessment in 2005 mean that the assessment is of the whole picture of a child's attainment. Why do you want to know the anrrow snapshot version? confused

Feenie Wed 13-Jul-11 17:32:12

That would be narrow confused

GiddyPickle Wed 13-Jul-11 19:16:47

Yes - not just Year 2 and Year 6 but the whole lot if you want to including anything the teacher has written about your child to aid their assessments.

By law you are allowed to see ANY and EVERY written record about your child that the school has. There is nothing they can do to bypass this. Whatever their policies say, it is your legal right to have full access to all their SAT results from every single year (assuming they've done SATS every year) and all of the teachers written assessments as well if you want them. You can also see all of the medical stuff, accident book entries - absolutely everything that relates to your child.

You might have to put your request in writing but they are not allowed to refuse.

Goblinchild Wed 13-Jul-11 19:19:28

GiddyPickle is right, you are entitled to see anything the school had written about your child. Not other children though, so if you ask they may need a little time to produce sheets with only your child's info visible.
(been there, done that)

AbigailS Wed 13-Jul-11 19:23:23

Yes, Giddlypickle is correct you have a right to see all the information about your child. But you do need to give the school notice of that, so they can make sure that it is only your child's info you get access to. We keep some assessment records (e.g. observations of speaking and listening or comment a child has made in science that are evidence of and relate to a specific assessment criteria) on group record sheets. The school need time to copy it and cut off the parts that relate to other children.

AbigailS Wed 13-Jul-11 19:24:24

Snap! Cross post with Goblinchild. smile

GiddyPickle Wed 13-Jul-11 19:24:44

Fennie - some exam results are indeed a narrow snap shot but nevertheless parents are entitled to know the scores if they so wish. Schools are not the gate keepers of information which they feel parents are not sufficiently well informed about to be trusted with.
Be it optional SATS or whatever, if a parent wants to know that information they have an absolute right both legally and morally to do so.

exoticfruits Wed 13-Jul-11 19:24:54

YES

AbigailS Wed 13-Jul-11 19:27:50

One or two children didn't complete all the actual SATs papers. They were off sick or on holiday when the rest of the class did them and we used teacher assessments to make the level judgements of these children. So "exams" aren't always available. Also the Year2 teachers can use the tests at any time of the year. I did some of mine early in the Spring term, so those levels may / will be lower than one of my parallel teachers who did their's in May.

GiddyPickle Wed 13-Jul-11 19:28:41

Yes - I agree. I think the school has a set number of days to comply with a written request and then they are also allowed to charge a small copying fee if the parent require their own copy of the records.

Sorry for sounding all aggressive about it. It drives me mad when I hear of parents being told they're "not allowed" to know things like optional SATS results relating to their own children however useful or otherwise the teacher deems that knowledge to be.

Feenie Wed 13-Jul-11 20:24:41

*Fennie - some exam results are indeed a narrow snap shot but nevertheless parents are entitled to know the scores if they so wish. Schools are not the gate keepers of information which they feel parents are not sufficiently well informed about to be trusted with.
Be it optional SATS or whatever, if a parent wants to know that information they have an absolute right both legally and morally to do so.*

It's Feenie grin

I think you'll find I didn't contradict any of what you just posted in my answers. So you can step off your high horse any time you like!

If, however, even the DFE find the actual test result so insignificant in the make up of the assessment, why would you want/need to know?

I had a parent who wanted to know the exact marks aswell, once. Said a lot more about her than her child, imo.

Giddypickle - who said anything about parents not being allowed to know anything? confused The OP asked about statutory obligations, and was answered correctly.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 13-Jul-11 22:46:36

DSs school has STILL not told me his KS2 results
and I know that they will only tell me level 4 or level 5 - had the same row when DD took hers two years ago
Head maintains its not relevant
(but she is of the view that all their books go into a skip rather than coming home ...)

SE13Mummy Thu 14-Jul-11 01:24:22

My school has yet to give Y6 their results, not least because we're in the process of double-checking them and deciding whether or not to send borderline ones to be remarked.

The Y2 and Y6 children will receive their teacher assessment levels in their reports tomorrow, others have statements along the lines of 'X is working at the level expected of a child at the end of Y4' i.e. a 3b. KS2 test levels will follow next week, after remark decisions have been made.

Parents in my class have been told their children's levels at parents' evenings along with a brief explanation of whether or not their child is currently operating within national expectations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now