Talk

Advanced search

Should there have been sub levels on his report?

(7 Posts)
Bananamash Wed 13-Jul-11 08:02:43

Hi,

DS is in year two. We had his report this week and we are very pleased that he got level threes across the board. BUT there were no sub levels to them. I know my BF's daughter got 2A's- ie some children were given sub levels. Is this because they don't give sub levels on level three in Y2? Thanks

AbigailS Wed 13-Jul-11 08:21:11

The computer system we have to log end of key stage 1 assessment on does not allow us to sub level levels 1 and 3 and the print out from this is what we print out and send to parents. So no, you won't get sub-levels. The teachers will have used sub-levels for their internal tracking though. If in doubt ask them.

Bananamash Wed 13-Jul-11 09:31:55

Thanks

ElbowFan Wed 13-Jul-11 15:33:59

For reasons peculiar to the DfE only level 2 is sub-levelled, and only at the end of KS1. (All KS2 results are in flat levels)
I have always suspected that where most children achieve level 2 this information alone was insufficient for any data analysis with regard to 'progress', so they decided to insist that level 2 was divided into abc.

Feenie Wed 13-Jul-11 16:06:02

From the ARA :

"The teacher assessment codes in the table below are to be used:
1, 2C, 2B, 2A, 3, 4 for assessing reading, writing and mathematics
(if the school believes the pupil is working above
level 4, the school should submit level 4)

1, 2, 3, 4 for assessing speaking and listening, and each
science attainment target (if the school believes the
pupil is working above level 4, the school should
submit level 4)

Only level 2 should be subdivided, and only for Reading, Writing and Maths.

ElbowFan Wed 13-Jul-11 17:23:13

Thanks Feenie, I'd forgotten S&L was a flat level - smile

Devexity Wed 13-Jul-11 17:35:43

I got two sets of results - one a copy of what the school was giving to county (all 3s, as your DS), and one a sublevelled breakdown from his class teacher with a paragraph of comment on progress. The latter set of levels was, unsurprisingly, much more meaningful in terms of understanding what to expect from his progress in Y3. I assume you could ask for a more detailed assessment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now