Talk

Advanced search

Looking for resources to support ks2 (yr5/6) maths

(13 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 12-Jul-11 21:34:20

Hi,

My dtds are about to go to year 6. Looking at their reports I think that one area they could do with support is their 'problem solving.g skills' and 'mental problems'. Their results in recent sats papers they did for internal assessment purposes could be better.

Thing is I am not really sure what the format of these papers are so I don't know how to support them.

RoadArt Tue 12-Jul-11 22:37:17

worth doing an internet search on ks2 maths, problem solving and mental maths. There area lot of free resources online.

I would say that it is probably pointless signing up to maths tutorial programmes like Whizz and Mathletics, because problem solving is such a small area. Mathletics however does have a section of problem solving which is very good, and teachers have access to lots of worksheets on this very issue.

This is a skill that doesnt seem to be taught well - children need to identify what is important information and ignore the irrelevent stuff - which usually stands out as important. I have come across worksheets online in the past that help you to search and identify what is and isnt important.

Problem solving is one of the areas that most children struggle with.

I think the teachers just have too much to get through with the curriculum and dont have time to go through problem solving in great detail because it is very time consuming. I also think children sometimes need good comprehension skills to interprete word problems.

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 12-Jul-11 22:46:27

two things that might be worth you trying out are what we call "worded problems" (stuff like there are eight apples in a box, how many will be in nine boxes, that level and a wee bit more challenging) and also 'mental maths tests' which is quick recall of tables, number bonds to 100, doubling, halving, quartering, time, weight, stuff like that.
Agree no to mathletics, Ed City and so on unless school already registered, too expensive for what they are otherwise
look into the national strategies to see what they are doing, and then look on sites [free] like "Primary resources" - will be loads of suitable stuff.

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 12-Jul-11 22:53:14

Ty.

They are ok at mental maths - but could be better but I know what to do to address that.

Teacher talks about some mental maths tests which are essentially worst problems with multiple sequential sums where you have to mentally store the answer between stages...I thought I had an idea of what she meant bit not 100% sure.

They get homework - which mostly addresses the numeric skills but not sure it takes it to that problem solving level - so wasn't sure what I was aiming at.

Will have a look at the resources tomorrow.

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 12-Jul-11 22:58:10

one I did with Y4 today in a mental maths quiz - was along the lines of "Joe took a number and added five, then doubled it. the answer was 18...find the Joe thought of" - basically that they do inverse operations (so work it out 'backwards' and start with 18, use opposite of doubling=halving, etc)
hope that makes sense hmm

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 12-Jul-11 22:58:42

*mental maths tests are WORD problems

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 12-Jul-11 23:00:10

and obv i just omitted the word "number"...blush
y5 and y6 ones are more complicated than that and have larger numbers and/or more steps, but I used today's one because I haven't had time to forget it yet because it is more straightforward as an illustration wink

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 12-Jul-11 23:22:03

Illustrates point - but I could really do with some yr5/6 examples help me pitch at right level. Is there an online bank of these sorts of questions?

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 12-Jul-11 23:26:33

will go and have a quick hunt round smile
back in a bit, hopefully with links.
Hoping a proper y5-6 teacher turns up grin but you might have to bump tomorrow, they must all be in bed...

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 12-Jul-11 23:29:28

Tis fine. I'm off to bed now anyway!

RoadArt Tue 12-Jul-11 23:34:27

http://www.kidzone.ws/math/wordproblems.htm

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/wordproblems/

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/maths/mathsD1.htm

http://coolmath.com/algebra/Algebra1/

Some excellent sites but there are lots. I typed in KS2 Word Problems Year 6 and these came up

MrsShrekTheThird Tue 12-Jul-11 23:36:49

BBC bitesize, good for general
I love primary resources, here and more specifically here
Possibly some useful stuff on here, I tend to use it as quizes or 'fun' extension work.

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 13-Jul-11 09:39:03

Thankyou both. Will sit and have a proper rummaged thru thos later but they look perfect.

And I had forgotten all about woodlands junior! Fanatic site (not that the others aren't - I am just kicking myself that I hadn't thought about that one myself)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: