Talk

Advanced search

Home reading suggestions for child just finishing reception

(13 Posts)
jasperc163 Tue 12-Jul-11 18:40:36

DD enjoys reading to herself in bed and I want to get her some new books (or probably order from library) . However I just dont seem to see anything really good when I go to the library. She has just moved on to ORT 8 (purple).

Can anyone suggest anything I can get for the holidays? I see mentions of Roald Dahl etc but not sure if this is right.

Many thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 12-Jul-11 18:52:45

Unless she is exceptional, I'd say Roald Dahl is too difficult. How about Horrid Henry?

jasperc163 Tue 12-Jul-11 18:57:16

Thanks - yes I hadnt looked. No she isn't exceptional :-) . I had looked at Horrid Henry in library and thought it looked a bit old - subject matter etc?

wordsmithsforever Tue 12-Jul-11 19:01:35

My DD loved the Mr Majeika series by Humphrey Carpenter as well as Enid Blyton's Secret Seven series (slightly easier than the Famous Five I think). Also the novels by Dick King-Smith and Jill Tomlinson are lovely. The picture books can also still be great, for those days when she's a bit tired and just wants some light relief, eg those by Judy Allen and by Tudor Humphries. My DD never really got into Roald Dahl funnily enough.

lottie15 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:02:46

My Daughter enjoys animal stories and likes the 'Amy Wild -Animal Talker series'by Usborne books, she also like Battersea dogs and cats home series eg Daisys Story. My son found the Magic Tree House series really fun at that age lots of adventure! I also loved the Michael Mopurgo younger animal books, which will hopefully lead them onto the whole collection!

lovecheese Tue 12-Jul-11 19:05:42

Roald Dahl too difficult? Not the simpler, shorter ones with a bit of support.

Try the "Daisy and the trouble with..." books, think by Kes Gray? or maybe I have made that up. Great fun and easy at that age.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 12-Jul-11 19:06:57

Suppose Horrid Henry might be a bit old, DS didn't get into them until he was a little older. How about Dr Seuss?

mrz Tue 12-Jul-11 19:12:17

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horrid-Henrys-Birthday-Party-Reader/dp/184255722X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310494149&sr=1-6
the Horrid Henry early readers might be better suited for a five year old

BunnyWunny Tue 12-Jul-11 19:23:10

My dd has just finished stage 8 (so is around the same reading level as your dd) and I would think roald dahl too difficult for independent reading.

Try Rainbow Fairies (although there are some quite hard words in there)
Puddle the Naughtiest puppy series is nice.
Ready Steady Read books are about the same level as stage 8 ORT.

Always try The Book People website for sets of books- so cheap!

blackeyedsusan Tue 12-Jul-11 19:49:57

if she wants to read the books herself, picture books are about the right length buit vary in difficulty. Animal crackers could be tackled with a bit of help. walker stories are a little harder and a little longer. Horrid henry early readers may be a little hard to read solo, but not far off from tackling when on purple level.

mr majeika/rainbow fairies are too hard to read solo, though are good for reading to them, and are earlyish chapter books and would be useful in a couple of months time.

This is from experience with dd who is currently between gold and white.

redskyatnight Tue 12-Jul-11 19:52:03

How about the Happy Family series of books? I think they are about purple level, and they are fairly short.

JemimaMuddledUp Tue 12-Jul-11 19:59:42

Horrid Henry Early Readers would be fine for a 5 year old. I remember DS2 reading them at that age. He also read the easier Roald Dahls eg The Enormous Crocodile, and Usbourne Young Readers which include a lot of factual stuff as well as stories. He also enjoyed reading picture books, eg The Gruffalo, to himself now that he was able. He didn't do ORT in Reception so I wouldn't know what level he was on.

DD is at the end of Reception now but only reads in Welsh so that isn't much help!

jasperc163 Tue 12-Jul-11 20:12:11

massive thanks to everyone - loads of good suggestions for me to look into

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now