Talk

Advanced search

Primary school teachers, what would you like, please?

(25 Posts)
Malcontentinthemiddle Tue 12-Jul-11 14:12:11

Leaving aside the wider issue of should you or shouldn't you feel compelled to buy presents for teachers, my year 5 really wants to get her teacher something nice this year - not the generic bottle of wine/lush stuff/chocs we normally do, because she really likes her and has had a good year. Also don't want to contribute to the mum who always collects money and then gets M&S vouchers.

Do you have any suggestions of something, not extravagant or showy but individual and expressing genuine thanks and appreciation, which you would welcome?

MightyAphrodite Tue 12-Jul-11 14:16:16

My favourite this year was little pots of herbs (parsley and basil) that the mum and son had prepared together. It was thoughtful, useful and decorative all in one and not expensive. Expensive gifts makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

Malcontentinthemiddle Tue 12-Jul-11 14:18:42

Thank you - and I quite agree, I don't want to send the message 'we think you're so great we've spent a lot of money on your present', just a present which is personal enough to convey genuine appreciation iyswim.

MightyAphrodite Tue 12-Jul-11 14:29:43

I think most teachers would appreciate anything homemade that had taken a little time and imagination. What about framing a picture your daughter has painted, or nicely presented homemade biscuits? Or is that considered a bit odd in UK?

tinytalker Tue 12-Jul-11 14:39:48

One year my dd embroidered a little mat/coaster for her teacher, with her name on and the teacher cried, she was so touched by the though and effort she had put into it! Made me want to cry too!!

Malcontentinthemiddle Tue 12-Jul-11 14:58:08

I really don't know - homemade gifts are difficult to get right if you're like us and not very good at making things that aren't a bit shit and I'm never sure how appreciated they would be!

AbigailS Tue 12-Jul-11 15:14:51

A smile and a "thank you" are my favourite. I keep thank you letters and a well worded and personal appreciation letter is far more valuable to me than flowers, chocolates, candles, wine, etc.

Elibean Tue 12-Jul-11 16:52:22

dd2's teacher actually said she likes the M&S vouchers best...along with cards made by the children.

Though dd's got her own ideas hmm

woahwoah Tue 12-Jul-11 17:44:18

How about a nice mug (tasteful rather than 'world's best teacher' type)? Of the presents I have been given over the years, the mugs have generally survived longest and been most appreciated (a mug can't make me fat, doesn't need dusting, and doesn't die like flowers).

BunnyWunny Tue 12-Jul-11 17:51:51

No photo's of your children, no horrible ornaments!

I liked cards from the children with cute messages. Plants, wine, were appreciated and my favourite was a nice pen, because I used it all the time for marking.

Malcontentinthemiddle Tue 12-Jul-11 17:56:52

Thank you all - the 'no nos' are as valuable as the suggestions!

happywheezer Tue 12-Jul-11 18:01:33

I got a five pound gift card from Boots. Used it to buy ovulation sticks. Got pregnant 3 months later. I thought it was useful!

teacherwith2kids Tue 12-Jul-11 18:17:46

A card with a personal message, a letter if you're feeling particularly generous, a heartfelt 'thank you' at some point between now and the end of term, maybe a nice thing said to the head or senior teacher about the teacher concerned (I did this for my DD's reception teacher ... and I know that it was noted as it was repeated in the Ofsted report which followed fairly shortly afterwards), something made by you with your child (had some very yummy jam and chutney last year) or (small school) some cakes / biscuits / chocolate for energy boosts to get us through until the end of term.

Nothing expensive, please. If you do want to give 'a thing', then a bottle of wine I can share with my neglected husband, or a cake I can take home to share with my neglected children would be lovely.

Please don't give me make-up. There is a reason I wear none (acute eczema), and I am not about to start wearing eyeshadow, lipstick or mascara just because a several parents decide to give me some

Caz10 Tue 12-Jul-11 18:24:16

If you know the teacher is local, best pressie I ever got was a token for a manicure! Nails are generally wrecked by the end of term and I got all pampered the day we broke up, lovely! yy also to nice pens!

COCKadoodledooo Tue 12-Jul-11 18:25:45

They're having a reshuffle in our school come September, so ds1 will have the same teacher as he's had this year. She's getting nowt until this time next year [tight arse]

freerangeeggs Tue 12-Jul-11 19:56:11

You could get your daughter to decorate a mug maybe? The wee paints are pretty cheap. I would love something like that, I would leave it out accidentally on purpose in the staffroom so the rest of the world could see what an ace teacher I am grin

Just kidding obv.

Or am I?

Anyway, to sum up: painted mugs.

BusterGut Tue 12-Jul-11 19:58:35

I'd really really really really like people to say 'thank you' on the comment part of the report. That's all.

littlebrownmouse Tue 12-Jul-11 20:11:36

Little basket with strawberries in and a ribbon on the handle with a card made by the child. We have chickens so teachers here get a similar basket but with straw in the bottom and eggs. I love getting hand made and written cards from my pupils. I don't care how ropy the cards are!

yellowkiwi Tue 12-Jul-11 20:15:09

I agree with BusterGut or even better a letter to the Head and Chair of Govs to say what a good job has been done.

rebl Tue 12-Jul-11 20:19:47

Can you speak to another teacher and ask what that teacher would like? I've done that with ds's teacher and she's getting voucher for where she gets her nails done, a bottle of her favourite tipple, a card made lovingly by ds and a thank you letter to her and the ht. This teacher has gone way beyond her job description and has turned things around for my ds.

saladfingers Tue 12-Jul-11 20:50:33

The momentos that i treasure are the letters and cards from parents and children who have expressed their gratitude. I know it sounds corny,(don't get me wrong,I've scoffed countless boxes of chocolates and loved them all,but it's the cards and letters I've kept to treasure,because, when the job gets tough it's good to remember how much the most important people have valued your input.

Lara2 Tue 12-Jul-11 20:57:41

No mugs please!! I have millions of them! There's only so many you can use as pen pots and then I feel really guilty and drive to other towns to put the others in charity shops.
Chocolates (my children are very appreciative!), wine (ditto DH) and I just love a drawing by the children. There's no such thing as something that's a bit shit that a child has made for me. Flowers (not pot plants - I kill them!) are fab because I never buy them for myself.

Also, please don't forget the classroom assistant/learning support assistant/early years assistant - they work bloody hard and deserve a little something too!

cece Tue 12-Jul-11 21:16:53

I once got a very slinky nightie from a parent blush especially as I opened it in front of the children!

The mum who gave it to me told me she thought it was about time I had a baby. blush shock I actually did get pg the next month but it wasn't anything to do with the nightie wink which I donated to a charity shop. Imagine wearing that and thinking where it had come from!

applecrumbleandcream Tue 12-Jul-11 23:51:49

Just reminiscing, when I was 7 I got my teacher a long handled back scratcher from a seaside novelty shop in north wales. He loved it! smile

nappysan Fri 05-Aug-11 00:23:06

Get your child to make a beautiful card and write a thoughtful letter yourself. Those are the best gifts. Presents like nice bath products, candles, flowers, vouchers, wine always appreciated. Teachers always have too many mugs already! Being polite, friendly and cooperative to your teacher is most valuable present of all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now