Talk

Advanced search

Teacher job share....Does it work?

(13 Posts)
Moda Tue 12-Jul-11 13:59:18

Hi
Is it ok to have a teacher job share in ks1 or is it too confusing for the children at such an early stage in their schooling, Does it work?
Both teachers only have one day when they overlap to communicate.
I would have thought that they would need the stability of one main teacher.
Any thoughts?

LawrieMarlow Tue 12-Jul-11 14:04:45

DS has had two teachers this year in Year 2 and it's worked really well smile

StitchingMoss Tue 12-Jul-11 14:08:05

It can work brilliantly and it can not work so well - like so much in life it depends on the personalities of the teachers and children involved. For some children it can be an advantage having a job share as, if they don't get on with their single teacher, a whole year with that one person can be very intense.

A well managed job share can mean children having two refreshed enthusiastic teachers how both play to their strengths.

Hope it goes well smile.

ThingOne Tue 12-Jul-11 14:08:24

Well run it can be positively beneficial.

StitchingMoss Tue 12-Jul-11 14:08:32

who both play! blush

swash Tue 12-Jul-11 16:38:42

DD has had two teachers in R and Y1 - one teacher did 3.5 days, one did 1.5 days. I think dd would have preferred one teacher tbh - she liked the main teacher more in each case.

feckwit Tue 12-Jul-11 16:39:56

My son had this in year 3 and it was fantastic.

funnypeculiar Tue 12-Jul-11 16:41:50

Can work brilliantly esp if you get 2 x mums who want to work pt - all ds & dd's best academic years have been with excellent job share teachers (Across Reception, Y1 & Y2) - do an advanced search on this site & you'll get lots of similar threads!

cjbartlett Tue 12-Jul-11 16:44:28

My ds has had job shares and it's worked brilliantly
My sil is a job share too and meets her job share teacher at home to work on plans and in the holidays

cjbartlett Tue 12-Jul-11 16:45:38

In my experience people who work part time are usually happier all round than those working full time

Doowrah Tue 12-Jul-11 19:35:37

My DS' first experience of this set-up this year has been a negative one. One part of teaching team has become known privately as the Deputy's bitch!!! Mainly because this other half has such a negative, bullying way of managing the class. Can't wait for new teacher, I'm sure it works well for some with less issues perhaps.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 12-Jul-11 19:38:04

I think it works really well. You get two teachers who are less stressed and who can play to their strengths. I would be more than happy for my child to be taught by a job share.

Of course there will be times when it works less well, but there are times when a single teacher situation doesn't work particularly well too.

Moda Thu 14-Jul-11 22:32:34

Thank's for your feedback smile
Looks like there are more positives than negatives regarding the job share
Starting to feel better about it know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now