Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How unusual is a L3 going into Y2

(99 Posts)
honoroakmum Tue 12-Jul-11 13:02:54

Hi my dd's teacher took me aside a couple of days ago to tell me that dd had achieved L3 in all areas and was doing very well. DD turned 6 in June. I'm thrilled that she is doing so well but how unusual is it to be on L3 going into Y2? One child in a class or more unusual than that?

redskyatnight Tue 12-Jul-11 13:26:01

I would imagine it is "reasonably" common in reading (certainly all the "top table" in DS's Y1 class were free readers, so presumably Level 3) but pretty uncommon in other areas. It's only something like 20% at the end of Y2. (and I know, for example, that DS's school don't even cover all the maths required for Level 3 by the end of Y1 so no one at his school would ever reach that level in Y1).

Well done to your DD.

AbigailS Tue 12-Jul-11 13:26:46

Wow! I would say it's rare. I've taught 20+ years, mostly in Year 2 and I've never had a child enter Year 2 with level 3 in every subject. I've had the odd gifted reader or mathmetician arrive with a 3C, but your child must be doing amazingly well if they are level 3 across the board, and as a summer birthday. I would just add did the teacher say 3C, 3B, 3A or just 3? And what evidence have they got to justify their levelling? If it is a true Level 3 the year one teacher must have done an amazing job at differentiating the work to cover all the level 3 requirements, so be really pleased.

LovetheHarp Tue 12-Jul-11 13:31:18

I'd say it's pretty rare, even for reading!

My DD has been free reading since April but she is not a level 3 in reading - close but not quite!

I also think the teacher has done an amazing job and well done to your DD!!!

AbigailS Tue 12-Jul-11 13:37:07

Yes - I agree LovetheHarp - "free readers" don't automatically equate to level 3 - see the criteria here;
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/64893

lovecheese Tue 12-Jul-11 13:54:30

...in my DD's year 5 class there are only, AFAIK, 4 free readers in the entire year.

AbigailS can you do that link so it's in blue? Techno virgin here blush

LawrieMarlow Tue 12-Jul-11 14:05:42

Here's AbigailS link

LawrieMarlow Tue 12-Jul-11 14:07:56

Free readers is a confusing term as it can mean something different in different schools. I think I read someone where being above level 8 (ORT I presume) was free reading, whereas in other schools there will be a book banding scheme used much higher in the school. So you might be a free reader and not be level 3, or you might be reading at a much higher level and still not be a free reader.

I do agree that Level 3 in all subjects at the end of Year 1 is v good smile

honoroakmum Tue 12-Jul-11 14:16:48

Thank you for your kind words. I am glowing with pride her and looking forward to her report.
Her teacher didn't say whether 3a,b or c but I think probably just c. At her parent's evening in Jan I (by reading the teacher's notes upside down) saw that she was 2a across the board so must have been working on level 3 stuff since then?
Her writing is probably her weakest area with maths being her strongest. Interestingly she is a bright little thing but more than that is terribly focused at school so is very easy to teach (according to the teacher) so character plays a big part in this I think.

SybilBeddows Tue 12-Jul-11 14:18:34

can I be nosey and ask what kind of school this is? I am very impressed at how well they must have differentiated to allow her to work to her potential like this.

Malcontentinthemiddle Tue 12-Jul-11 14:19:37

It is unheard of. Get her into prep.

honoroakmum Tue 12-Jul-11 14:26:25

It is a selective prep school so may be used to children working at this level?Certainly my dd doesn't seem to be that far ahead of the rest of the class.

LovetheHarp Tue 12-Jul-11 14:27:05

so character plays a big part in this I think.

Definitely, but I would say the most important factor here is that the teacher has taught her at that level. I would say this is not always the case and it is very commendable.

SybilBeddows Tue 12-Jul-11 14:29:50

thank you. smile

startail Tue 12-Jul-11 15:51:28

I suspect DD2 would have been for reading, but not writing or maths.
Her school only give out very goods not levels, but I was told she was the best reader in her class. Certainly she could read DD1's Y6 SATs papers when her dyslexic sister struggled.

spanieleyes Tue 12-Jul-11 16:04:11

Of course it's not unheard of! My son was a straight three across the board in KS2 SATs. Of the 12 year 6's I currently teach, 3 were straight three's at KS1. That is in a bog standard rural primary.

Mind you, it is pretty impressive too!

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 12-Jul-11 16:07:05

spanieleyes the OP's child has only just finished Year 1.

Elibean Tue 12-Jul-11 16:09:40

Yes, but the OP's dd is straight 3s at the end of Y1, not Y2. She hasn't done the SATS yet.

dd1 went into Y2 a level 3 reader, but not in anything else afaik - though she's probably level 3 now, in everything except writing! Bog standard primary.

spanieleyes Tue 12-Jul-11 16:10:33

My apologies, I didn't read correctly!

In which case, it is fantastic!!!!

virgiltracey Tue 12-Jul-11 16:12:16

Goodness, I wouldn't have thought its common at all if you look at the link that has been posted. I think its very impressive so well done your DD!
DS1 is free reading and has been since half way through Y1. He goes to a very academic selective independent school and is top of his year group for reading. His teachers have said his reading, expression and comprehension is incredibly good for his age. He was not assessed as a 3.

mrz Tue 12-Jul-11 17:24:07

Very rare IME (I've never had a genuine level 3 children just some generous Y1 teacher assessments) well done your daughter OP

mrz Tue 12-Jul-11 17:26:35

We don't have any free readers in school (including Y6 yet achieve high % level 5s in the SATs)

BusterGut Tue 12-Jul-11 18:39:02

No, I've never had a L3 coming into Y2 either. I am amazed that a Y1 child can write at L3 shock.

skybluepearl Tue 12-Jul-11 20:13:39

well done to your DD!

my sons class had one girl at level 3 for everything. she is very bright and could have been moved up a few year groups easily. in the same class there were a handful of children that had 2a's for everything. then also more than half the class were free readers. it is/was an exceptional year though - full of bright buttons.

honoroakmum Tue 12-Jul-11 20:23:25

I had no idea that it was so uncommon. In my dd's school 80 - 90% end up L3 in Y2 so I assumed that a fair proportion end on high L3 which suggests they enter Y2 on a low level 3.
You may be right mrz that her teacher has gotten carried away somewhat particularly in writing which seems to be her weaker area.
She is very strong in maths and reading at the moment so I think these could be L3.
I received her report this afternoon. No levels but suggested she was doing exceptionally well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now