Talk

Advanced search

Over reaction??

(11 Posts)
Kardashianw Tue 12-Jul-11 07:40:36

hiya
Got ds report on Friday and had a good read of it. Anyway in the 1st paragraph he was referred to as a 'she' and 'her'! I had to look at the front of the report to see whether it was my ds's report or not. There was also spelling mistakes.
Anyway I decided to tell his teacher and she really took to an offence and got very defensive and told me that it had been proof read by 2 other people the head and deputy so she told me to tell them. I didn't tell them I just said to her I am making you aware so u don't do it again which I think is fair comment. Speaking to other parents with boys they had the same issue so they too told her.
So I goes home an gets a Phonecall from the school head teacher and saying that I was upset about the report and if I would like to discuss it with her at 3pm. I said yes an went for that time only to be told the head is busy and if I would be ok seeing the deputy!
So I saw the deputy and her answer was we r humans and all humans makes errors. Errr hello it was proof read by 3 people. So I went off on one not sure now if I am looking too much into things but when I pick my ds from football u have to wait in the hall so I decided to have a nose at the wall displays so I never ds work on wall and then there is a wall with each Childs face from the school and hey guess what ds pic ain't there. I told her he is 'lost' in the school and she was so reassuring to say he isn't and that the yr1 teacher is fantastic.
I did go on an on but feel a bit guilty!!!

Kardashianw Tue 12-Jul-11 07:43:17

Ps it peed me off when she told me Yr1 teacher was really upset that I corrected her over her report mistakes!! That's what started me off!!!

2BoysTooLoud Tue 12-Jul-11 07:55:46

Cut and paste reports can be frustrating I find and teacher should have been more careful. A simple sorry would have probably stopped this escalating!
As for the wall display it was probably not deliberate but once you start worrying about your child being 'invisible' to a teacher it is hard not to take offence. However, try and keep calm or the teachers will feel defensive and clam up. They are only human but that doesn't mean you shoulsn't be mildly pissed off.

2BoysTooLoud Tue 12-Jul-11 07:56:45

Looks like I need to watch my spelling too!

cory Tue 12-Jul-11 08:06:52

Shows how important damage limitation is. If that teacher had apologised profusely and chatted to you about your ds for 5 minutes in a manner calculated to make you feel how much she does notice him, you would have been quite happy to forgive a simple error of word processing. As it is, she let it escalate. Always annoys me when teachers don't have people skills.

Roo83 Tue 12-Jul-11 08:09:39

I would not be happy about this. It shows the report isn't personal to your ds-if they couldn't even get the sex right how do you know the comments were actually correct and not 'accidentally' cut and pasted? You had a right to be upset, and the way the school handled it was inappropriate-I honestly don't think you over reacted at all

Kardashianw Tue 12-Jul-11 08:22:31

Thanks guys. I asked the parents if I was being a pushy mum but at the same was triying to help the teacher with her mistakes. She thinks as I have 'trained' as a teacher that I should have dismissed her errors but I didn't go into the profession!
I thought I was being paranoid and always did think is ds actually getting noticed, ESP when every single child of the schools picture was on the wall but his....she said I can go an have a formal chat with yr1 teacher at open evening but I'm thinking what's the point she will only only have her guard up. Also thy are changing the report and correcting it an I said leave it then I thought actually ds might read that in years to come and e will be like mum did i use to be a girl wouldnt he?

Thanks guys I'd was stressing that I was being harsh!! X

Kardashianw Tue 12-Jul-11 09:33:33

Teacher has just had a word with me and was so apologetic at one point thought she was going to cry. (that made me feel soo bad)
Told her I only told her for future reference and she was on defence and she said coz she is so passionate and didn't sleep all night.
Well told her I'm Ok about it and let's hope ds gets a little more noticed in year 2. Or Pushy mum will be there again!!
Oh my dd starts reception so god help them!!!

Scholes34 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:41:35

Let's hope Kardashianw never finds herself in the yr1 teacher's position of having her spelling mistakes exposed! It's obvious cutting and pasting does take place with the standard phrases which are used in reports, but some more careful checking should have taken place. I'm sure the yr1 teacher will be more careful in future, as will the head and deputy head.

cory Tue 12-Jul-11 09:46:15

Lots of people have jobs where their deficiencies are constantly exposed in public and they have to explain themselves. You just have to learn how to deal with criticism without making an exhibition of yourself.

Kardashianw Tue 12-Jul-11 09:49:37

Let's hope I don't as I won't be going into teaching ha! I was on her side and got a mouthful instead!!! Thought I was doing her favour!!!
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now