Talk

Advanced search

DS easily distracted and gives up too easy (Year1 one soon to join Year 2)

(7 Posts)
4progress Mon 11-Jul-11 00:02:35

I know this is probably a common problem but some tips from mums who have similar children or from those who teach such children would be really helpful. My DS has almost completed year 1 (he is 6). I am very surprised to find that he has been graded as just average and below average across the board which is very upsetting and frustrating for me as his parent. The reason I find this so surprising is because he is clever, he can build lego models designed for 12 year olds with no help and his drawing is advanced for his age He can also tell you 'all about' volcaneos and what gravity is without prompt as he finds all this very interesting. The problem is he is the 'class clown' and his teacher is forever telling me that he is very giddy and silly in class. He is easily distracted and gets dishearted after making just one mistake. I and my DH work full time (no choice) so we can only do school work with DS at the weekend. Regardless of treats we offer and verbal praise, after just 10 minutes he has had enough and will start acting silly or sulk -- it is clear that this is what must happen at school as well. My DH suggested that we get strict and tell him off with punishments such as no pudding after tea for acting silly but i don't want him to be forced to learn -- any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Jul-11 07:33:21

I wouldn't use food as a punishment. Try fun things that need concentration-chess, board games etc.

2BoysTooLoud Mon 11-Jul-11 07:48:26

Agree with exoticfruits. 'Fun things' are the way to go. I have a year 1 boy who won't do any school type work at home. However, he will do things if not 'work' eg, writing on a stickit note messages for us -'I am super dooper hungry' [his spelling!]. He writes riddles on stickit notes and hides them for us to find etc. We will probably send postcards to people over the holidays.
I think 10 minutes of what is perceived to be work at home would switch my ds off and obviously does yours.
Being giddy at 6 is not unusual.. kids mature at different rates.
Don't worry..

maverick Mon 11-Jul-11 08:05:18

'When children are highly distractible, overly disruptive and unable to stay 'on task', this usually means they can't do the task' (Prof. D. McGuinness. Why Children Can't Read. p188)

exoticfruits Mon 11-Jul-11 08:32:00

Have you got other DCs? Does he see other DCs after school and at weekends? It maybe that you are expecting him to be too adult-just a guess and I maybe wrong. 6yr olds are fairly giddy and if he isn't used to them, except at school he may have found the best way to relate is to act the fool and get laughs and attention.
I don't think that you ought to even try school related things at home. Kick balls around, play hide and seek,silly treasure hunt type things as suggested, garden, cook the dinner, go for long walks, give him attention with board games. If you don't like a lot of that, get him to invite friends around-take them to the park etc.

IndigoBell Mon 11-Jul-11 10:27:47

10 minutes is all that a 6 year would be expected to concentrate for (I think)

I would agree with maverick, and also say that kids can be very clever in some areas, and have huge problems in others - or indeed even SN.

Do you have any other concerns about him? Is he sociable? Does he have friends? Does he like being active? Is he normally relaxed or anxious?

smee Mon 11-Jul-11 11:12:29

Back off and just have fun with him. Honestly they change so much in Yr2. My DS was below average in some things at end of Yr1, but he's now above average by end of Yr2. Enjoy the summer and if you really want to do school type work with him, disguise it in games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now