Talk

Advanced search

How much school uniform will I realistically need?

(26 Posts)
newlark Sun 10-Jul-11 21:38:48

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question - dd is going to be in reception and I don't know how many sets of clothing I am likely to need to get her (am trying to get stuff now before sizes sell out). I'm sure when I was at school I only had one school skirt and jumper which was washed once per week and maybe two or three shirts. Will I get away with 3 shirts and two skirts or am i kidding myself given that they do painting/sand play etc in reception. Most can come from a supermarket so fairly cheap but I have to buy the jumper with logo from the school supplier at £17.50 shock so don't really want more than one of those!

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 10-Jul-11 21:41:17

Mine have three skirts or trousers, five or six polo shirts and three jumpers each. We just about manage!

chibi Sun 10-Jul-11 21:41:23

Ask at the school about second hand for logo stuff

I got all the unlogoed stuff at supermarkets, and school cardis, normally £15 for £2 each shock

PonceyMcPonce Sun 10-Jul-11 21:41:43

5 polos
1 skirts
1 pinafore
1 pair trews
3 jumpers (if poss)

JackieNo Sun 10-Jul-11 21:43:13

I suspect it partly depends on whether you have a tumble dryer or not - if you have, you can probably get away with fewer things (as long as you're organised enough to remember to wash things in the evening).

chibi Sun 10-Jul-11 21:43:38

The school cardis from the school secondhand i mean

To be fair they are excellent quality so wear v well, the ones i got secondhand do not look work at all

tudorrose Sun 10-Jul-11 21:46:11

DD2 is just coming to the end of reception and has been constantly filthy. I honestly think she opens her lunch box each day and just tips the food down her jumper, never mind all the painting, glitter and glue.

I have three of everything, one to wear, one to wash and one in the drawer.
Otherwise I would be washing her uniform every day ready for the next day.

I have also mastered the art of "sponging off her uniform" just to try to get another day out of it.

DD1 still looked pristine on a Friday!

MaxineQuordlepleen Sun 10-Jul-11 21:47:51

It was a shock to realise that we actually needed five of everything and a total pain trying to get things later in the term, so you're right to get it all now. She came home, everyday, covered in everything you could think of, right up until half way through this term.

PatriciaHolm Sun 10-Jul-11 21:57:43

Mine have at least five polo tops each, then around 4-5 bottoms(trousers/shorts/dresses) and 5+ jumpers/cardis. They need clean of everything every day, and I am crap at remembering to wash stuff!

pointythings Sun 10-Jul-11 22:01:02

One more than you've actually got. <unhelpful been-there emoticon>

£17.50 for a school jumper? Private school? Big fat rip-off? shock

MoreBeta Sun 10-Jul-11 22:03:26

Pretty much 3 of everything.

One in the wash, one in the drawer, one on the child. Wash twice a week.

Grockle Sun 10-Jul-11 22:04:30

We've needed 5 of everything too shock except jumpers. I bought 2 new and then 2 second hand but in perfect condition.

FunnysInTheGarden Sun 10-Jul-11 22:06:55

5 of everything, otherwise you will be panic washing midweek. I made the mistake of only getting 2 jumpers, cue panic washing of a Tuesday night and wiping down inbetween grin

PorkChopSter Sun 10-Jul-11 22:08:21

Five shirts & skirts, but only two cardies - because they are that bizarre come out of the washing machine bone dry synthetic material.

newlark Sun 10-Jul-11 22:11:38

Its a state school not private (only a small number of things need to come from the school supplier and the jumper is the most expensive by a long way). Hmm... I think I'd better get another pack of shirts and another skirt and shell out for 2 jumpers. I tried the second hand sale at the school but there were no jumpers her size and all the bigger ones were badly frayed round the cuffs so it doesn't look as though they even wear well. At least ds will be able to wear the jumpers too when he goes in a couple of years.

blackeyedsusan Mon 11-Jul-11 00:26:17

5 jumpers/6 polios/5 pinafores/5 trousers/ 9 tights/9 vests 10 pants/ 10 million pairs of socks/ 2 pe tshirts/ 2 pe short. numbers dictated by pack size. i was lucky and bought all dd's jumpers second hand. and quite a few of her pinafores.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 11-Jul-11 07:40:56

I buy 5 trousers and 6 jumpers/polos - that way clean for every day. I do keep a pack of spare polos and a jumper or two as things get stained easily at school so i can quickly switch them.

rebl Mon 11-Jul-11 09:46:27

DD has 3 pinafores / skirts, 5 polo shirts / blouses, 3 jumpers, 2 cardis. I have days where I send her in wearing very dirty, paint covered skirts / pinafores.

mintyneb Mon 11-Jul-11 11:02:15

just curious as to why a lot of you recommend getting several jumpers? Do DCs have to wear them all the time at school?

My DD (starting in reception) gets very hot really easily and rarely wears cardigans or jumpers unless we are going out in the cold during winter. She would automatically take any jumper/cardigan off the minute she got into class (assuming of course she will be allowed to)

aftereight Mon 11-Jul-11 11:13:31

My DD has been fine with:
2x cardigans
2x pinafores/skirts
3x polo shirts
3x summer dresses

I suspect ds will need 5 of each as he is much grubbier!

aseriouslyblondemoment Mon 11-Jul-11 11:13:36

i'd be inclined to buy 3 jumpers/cardigans tbh.
if school haven't got a second-hand uniform shop as such maybe you could suggest this as a means of clawing some of the money back,something along the lines of an NCT nearly new sale
some of the parents at our school have bought cardigans elsewhere and sewn on the school badge but they do stand out from the other children.
another thing that i'd be inclined to buy lots of are tights as my dd was constantly coming home with ripped knees!

Lollyheart Mon 11-Jul-11 11:23:14

Dd has 6 polo shirts but only uses 3 a week.
2 skirts
1 summer dress
1 cardi.
She comes home nice and clean.

Ds starts in sept, I'm sure it will be a different story with him, he is very messy grin so will buy 2 jumpers.

ninani Mon 11-Jul-11 12:35:29

When our son was wearing red jumpers at his old school they always looked dirty. Now at his new school they wear dark blue jumpers and they always look clean smile

Also the white polo shirts look dirty ANY day that they weather is good enough for him so he doesn't need to wear a jumper on top. So you need at least 3 of them.

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 12:59:14

We have 3 of everything- and we certainly get through them all!

colditz Mon 11-Jul-11 13:02:14

17.50 for a jumper!!!!!!! Get to fuck, I would say. Buy a supermarket one in school colours. They cannot make you buy their uniform. Ours are £8 and very good quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now