Talk

Advanced search

DD almost 7 and has "immature handwriting" Any teachers out there please?

(8 Posts)
HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 21:20:09

She's just finished year 2 in a small private prep. Her SATS were ok I think...she did get a 2C for writing though.

She got 2B for reading and 2 for speaking and listening and a 3 in science.

They did say she's improved massively in most areas....including maths in which she got a 2B.

But she still reversed some letters and a loty of numbers....her art and craft work is "Extremely advanced" and her fine motor skills are excellent.

So why is she still reversing and doing immature writing? I am worried. They said in her report that if it onotinues next year she should be formally assessed.

Dyslexia? She's not even 7 yet.

mrsbaffled Sun 10-Jul-11 22:42:08

I would be guided by the school as to whether they think it necessary to persue assessment. My DS has just got his teacher assessment levels for KS1 (he's just 7). He got 3s in everything apart from writing where he got a 2c. In his case the school have suggested dyslexia because of the big difference between writing and everything else. We are waiting for the assessment now. It probably won't be til Sept/Oct now as there is a big waiting list for assessments.

I do think it is normal to develop in different areas at different rates, and it is fairly normal to still reverse letters at 6. However if she doesn't progress as much in writing as much as everything else then it might be worth asking for assessment. If there is no problem, then it will prove that.

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 22:54:33

Well she only got 2bs for reading and maths....so it's not a huge difference is it? I see with a child who gets 3 on everything that it might stick out a bit...I just feel she isplays no signs...she is good phsically and has no trouble with left and right.

Dyslexia is a pita isn't it? I don't want her to struggle.

Elibean Sun 10-Jul-11 23:03:01

We haven't had levels or reports back yet, but there are several children in dd's Y2 class who reverse letters from time to time (dd still sometimes forgets and reverses her d and b, though suspect she does that more at home than at school - she enjoys writing notes to Mum and Bad).

Not so sure about 'many numbers' as opposed to the occasional 3 back to front...but at the end of the day, they said 'if it continues next year' and its quite possible that it won't.

HelloKlitty Sun 10-Jul-11 23:05:57

Yes....I don't see her do it at home....she writes all the time here...and there's just the odd d or b that's wrong and as you said, the odd 3....maybe she's tired?

Anyway...we're moving schools...so if the next teacher isn't happy about her writing then I will do as they suggest.

Better to help her than stress about it. It doesn't seemthat bad to me...she says writing makes her tired though...that it's too much effort.

CardyMow Mon 11-Jul-11 01:50:20

DS2 has muscle problems, but is no longer on the SEN register. He's lvl 2A in Maths, lvl 2B in reading, and only lvl 1A in writing. I can (just about) read his writing albeit a lot is misspelt. But he is improving. I'm sure his handwriting will be legible by the time he leaves Y6. Level 2C isn't the end of the world! It's only one sub-level below the 'average' for that age group, and could be explained by something as simple as your DD being 'young' for the year group.

CardyMow Mon 11-Jul-11 01:52:28

I forgot to say, my DS2 is 'old' for the year group, he'll be 8 in November. I'll bet by the end of Y3, your DD is bang on average, most that are 'young for the year group' tend to catch up fully in either Y3 or Y4 with this.

HelloKlitty Mon 11-Jul-11 08:23:26

Thanks Loudlass She does seem young...She's the youngest in fact and in every way she is more immature than her classmates. They're bigger, they're braver and their writing is better...you get the picture! grin

If she had been orn one month earlier she'd have been in Year one and then she'd probably be lauded for being "ahead" in everything! She often looks more like a year one child when you see them all together!

I have read some usefu threads on here about excersises and one teacher suggested that it can be due to weakness in upper body muscles...shoulders etc....and then I read that balancing and climbing can help them...I have arranged gymnastics classes and swimming for her this year. It's silly to worry about these things when their are people with real worries about their DC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now