Talk

Advanced search

dd's report doesn't make sense!

(14 Posts)
princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 20:42:51

Here is a quotation from dd's report: 'dd can count reliably up to three objects. dd can count reliably up to six objects.' Three or six? It is obviously a cut and paste job and doesn't even seem to apply to my child who can count accurately well over twenty objects, recite numbers beyond 100, recognise, write and order numbers to 20. I actually would be really concerned if that was a real reflection of dd's numbers ability, but I know it isn't. It doesn't even make any sense. Would it be a good idea to discuss this with dd's teacher?

princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 20:49:08

She can actually recognise numbers up and beyond 100 and is a scale point 9 for reading. It would be odd for there to be such a disparity with her numbers ability - especially as the report also states that she can add and subtract. How - if she can't count!!!

spiderpig8 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:49:29

Well if you know she can count 20 it really doesn't make any difference whether she meant 3 or 6 does it?

princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 20:50:30

No - but I am concerned that her teacher doesn't know what she can do and that the report is very confusing and inaccurate.

fenellaf Sun 10-Jul-11 20:51:07

Yes, defo. Reports should be clear and provide you with a clear idea of what your child can do. Go and see the teacher.

skybluepearl Sun 10-Jul-11 20:51:34

i think you have to ring the school and explain what the problem is and that you would like the real report for your DD ASAP.

Goblinchild Sun 10-Jul-11 20:52:16

It is a sloppy cut and paste from the number strand in the EYLG.

Goblinchild Sun 10-Jul-11 20:54:09

www.stfaiths.com/userfiles/file/EYFS%20profile%20poster.pdf
It's point 2 and 3 in the Numbers as labels strand.

Cat0115 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:55:26

You MUST ask the teacher about this - there may have been a "printing" error (if it is cut and paste) - it is unforgiveably careless (a colleague should ALWAYS check reports before they go out, or even better, two)

I would approach in a diffident "I'm sure there has been an oversight" attitude and wait and see what the reaction is. If the report comes back with the counting still not reflecting your thoughts, then ask to see the teacher again - perhaps they only have "evidence" that DD can count this far or WORSE she isn't being pushed far enough.

I am a teacher btw, we do make mistakes but your child's teacher should be prepared to at least discuss the report, or why bother doing it?

Good luck!

princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 20:57:14

I wouldn't mind the mistake - except that dd could count more than six objects before she started nursery. I know every mum thinks their child is doing well - but she is definitely NOT this low in her numbers ability. I have asked her to count so many things this weekend - dd must think I'm mad! How can a child who recognises numbers to 100, in and out of sequence, who can count in 2s and backwards from 20 be a scale point 3/4 on the EYFS goals?

princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 21:02:02

Have written a friendly note in her reading journal - briefly explaining the issue and asking if I can pop in and see dd's teacher. Just don't want to seem as if I am making a fuss about nothing - but it has had me really concerned.

fenellaf Sun 10-Jul-11 21:02:44

Princess, deep breath! :-)
It's probably, as has already been suggested, an oversight. I'm afraid that many teachers do copy and paste, and although it should have been checked, it may have been checked by someone who isn't aware of the academic level of your daughter, so may not have picked it up.
Please go and see the teacher. I'm sure they will be happy enough to discuss it. I had 2 children in my class last year with the same name, and I sent them each others' report. I was hugely embarrassed when it was pointed out to me, but it was quickly rectified. Please don't spend the night worrying.

princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 21:09:20

I'm afraid I do panic about these things! Silly really - I know what dd can do. Just don't want her to end up in the wrong Maths group or something.

princessglitter Sun 10-Jul-11 21:30:29

Thanks for replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now