Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried about my DS's EYFS score?

(8 Posts)
signet Sat 09-Jul-11 23:23:32

DS (5)'s report was lovely but looking at his EYFS score for reading and writing, I am a little bit concerned about his progress. He scored 5 for reading and 4 for writing which I read is below average. For everything else he scored a 7 which is fine. I don't know if I should just be relaxed about it and he'll catch up once "he gets going" with his reading/writing or should I be concerned about this? He has made a lot of progress this last term but even so his score is very low in these 2 areas. I guess I'm concerned that this might be the way things will always be for him, or is it possible he will catch up with his peers?

I'd really appreciate some advice as to how to react to the scores and if there is something I can be doing to help him other than carry on reading etc. with him? He turned 5 in March so is neither one of the oldest or the youngest, he just seems to be really struggling with reading/writing compared to his peers and I wonder if he'll struggle in year 1.

Thanks,

everlong Sun 10-Jul-11 08:01:41

First, how pleasing that he got a lovely report. That is the important bit.

Please try not to worry. You say he scored 7 in every else, which is good, the lower results just need extra support and guidance imo. Which is something you can help him with at home.

My ds who is end of August born scored 90 overall which is good, but 5 for reading and writing. Don't focus on the four and 5 look at his end result too. It's positive.

I am planning to do a diary with ds, so he can write everyday in the holidays, shopping lists and little stories. We are also going to be practicing letter formation and little spelling tests too. Just so he doesn't lose what he's done so for far, the holidays are long!

Could you have a chat with his teacher too, for reassurance?

meriden Sun 10-Jul-11 09:08:58

My DD is in reception and I was a bit worried about these scores. She scored 6's and 7's for reading, writing and numeracy but fell down in other areas - emotional development, knowledge of the world, creative (all 4s and 5s).

But to be honest, I don't know how she scored 6 on writing as she is not formiing letters properly, although she'll have a go, and they haven't yet done any formal writing teaching - I'm guessing this comes in year 1.

It seems strange that they are marking on an aspect that they haven't taught yet.

mrz Sun 10-Jul-11 09:10:01

No teaching writing comes in most reception classes hmm

mrz Sun 10-Jul-11 09:10:11

Parents may be interested in completing the consultation for the new EYFS curriculum and profile (or just looking at proposed changes for 2012)
www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1747&external=no&menu=1

meriden Sun 10-Jul-11 09:43:38

That's interesting mrz. I wonder why our school doesn't.

mrspnut Sun 10-Jul-11 09:46:54

Try not to worry, if their teacher had concerns about their development then they would have spoken to you about it by now.

Children develop at different rates, even those at the same age, and when they are grown up I can guarantee that no-one will want to know what their EYFS scores were.

signet Sun 10-Jul-11 11:42:23

Thank-you ladies for the reassurance. I'll focus on helpin
g him at home and not worry about it too much. The main thing is tIat he loves school and is so happy to be there. I just need to remember not to compare him to others and celebrate all the things that he can do rather than worry about the the things he can't. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now