Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used Reading Chest?

(12 Posts)
CDMforever Sat 09-Jul-11 21:57:25

My DS is about to start Reception in September and have heard that the books sent home can be quite repetitive.
He's already expressing an interest in reading, knows all his letter sounds etc.
so I wouldn't want him to get bored.
Been on the website and it looks good.

MammyT Sat 09-Jul-11 22:48:06

One of the school mums does and really rates it. I read elsewhere here (today in fact) that it's very good for concentrated bursts.

However I wouldn't worry yet until your child actually starts school. It may be MONTHS before they get any books home. I know mine only started in late January but seems to be doing fine so far. In our school, the books are not repetitive.

CDMforever Sat 09-Jul-11 23:01:07

Good point, I guess they start by sending home books "to share".
I'm just so excited/worried about him starting school!

FallenAngel22 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:14:46

We use Reading Chest after seeing it mentioned on here. It's fab, I can only say good things about it. We started using it after DD's teacher decided that she needed to read every book in every scheme regardless of whether or not they were too easy to read and understand.

She's now flying thanks to the extra books we get from there.

CDMforever Sun 10-Jul-11 21:56:30

That sounds great Fallen.
Think I will give it a go next year.

Elliebelli Sun 10-Jul-11 22:57:35

I too used Reading Chest and I have to say they were really great.

You get a good variety of books, and many of the factual ones are very informative.

I found it a very convenient service in that I had a regular supply of books at the correct reading level. When ever I had a query etc they sorted it out promptly. In addition, books were always dispatched promptly once they had received your old books.

I'll be using them again with my next child.

blackeyedsusan Mon 11-Jul-11 00:20:28

try your library first as it is cheaper (assuming it isn't now 2 bus journeys and a train ride away) you can buy phonics books cheaply from the book people website too. work out the prices. books you buy, you can keep for your next child and then sell on at the end. i thought reading chest looked quite expensive for very few books personally.

penelopethefrog Thu 14-Jul-11 20:47:18

I use it. DS1 (aged 5) pink to turqouise in 6m and loving reading. Fast service, good selection of books and they're in good condition.

MrsFogi Thu 14-Jul-11 20:54:09

I am being a bit dense here no doubt but can someone explain to me how the swaps work? Do I end up having no books in the house or can I swap a couple whilst we're still working through others? confused I don't really get it from reading the website.

penelopethefrog Thu 14-Jul-11 20:57:15

We have gold membership. They send you six books and two envelopes. When you've read three (or two if you're on silver/bronze), you send them back. You get the new ones two days later typically, so you always have three books around, unless you get through them very very fast. If you're aiming for one book a day, you'll usually have enough except for sometimes at weekends and over bank holidays.

mummynoseynora Thu 14-Jul-11 20:58:29

we use it at the mo - DD starts reception in september too

she started 'reading' by that I mean sounding out and blending the words (not so much sight reading) a few months ago so we gave it a try, we are two months in and it is a god send - she'll happily work her way through a book and is starting to recognise a few words by sight too

we are only planning on using it until she starts school as they get to take home 2 books a day then (one to read and one to 'share')

lovecheese Thu 14-Jul-11 21:04:52

I used it for about 6 months for DD2 and would highly recommend it.

blackeyedsusan - It is not cheap I admit, but very useful if, like me, you live in't middle of nowhere and cannot get to the library very often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now