Talk

Advanced search

KS2 Y6 SATs results

(8 Posts)
EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 09-Jul-11 17:53:41

My DS2's Y6 SATs results have just come through, and while I am pleasantly surprised that he managed to get level 4 for all his English tests and teacher assessments, reading other threads it seems that the writing task marking is a bit controversial. I know from talking to his teacher that he struggled to write much for the short writing task but did slightly better on the long. I wondered what the consensus of opinion was on it's marking. Were borderline 3/4 level children pushed up to level 4?

He has SEN (ASD) so achieving a level 4 is lovely, but not really necessary for him. He will need support next year in secondary and I wouldn't want them to miss his deficits. His teacher assessment was also 4 but I was always told it depended on the type of writing task. He's not very good at putting himself in others shoes etc.

spanieleyes Sat 09-Jul-11 17:58:58

My two borderline 3/4's finished up just underneath the 4!
I had a child with ASD last year who also missed the cut-off point by one point as he couldn't decide on a character to write about for the short task. He spent 15 minutes trying to decide and only wrote 3 sentences. Indecision was a major problem for him.

rainbowstardrops Sat 09-Jul-11 17:59:24

My ds' school has sent all their literacy/reading assessments back to be re-marked as they, along with many other schools, are not happy with the marking. The results are due back in September from what i gather.

We don't find out our DCs results until the reports are sent home. The reports are still being compiled. I'm not really happy about it.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 09-Jul-11 18:03:11

Thanks spanieleyes, maybe he did better than I expected or had a 'kinder' marker!

Rainbow, I assume they wouldn't send them back for over lenient marking!!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 09-Jul-11 18:04:23

We got them with our reports yesterday, ghost.

spanieleyes Sat 09-Jul-11 18:17:44

I did have one this year who usually works at around 3b/a and came in with a 4b! This is the problem teachers have with written papers in SATs, they test one specific genre and style on one particular day. I assess on a weekly basis and on a range of genres and types, yet my view accounts for nothing!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 09-Jul-11 18:34:27

My DS has quite a 'spiky' profile and would probably average out at a 4c but could range from a 4a down to a 3b or so. Hard to assess, I guess, but the charity advert task was horrendous for him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now