Talk

Advanced search

education

(15 Posts)
singlemumof3 Sat 09-Jul-11 14:19:44

my daughters are both in year 5 from september .. but are getting moved into differant classes year 4/5 and year 5/6 . And now they are telling me they are both going to be taught diffant subjects not going on the same school trips nothing there are is five children this is happing to and i think it very wrong has anyone got any help please .

singlemumof3 Sat 09-Jul-11 14:22:43

sports day , i have never in my life seen such utter rubbish in a school spoerts day .

the high jump was the kids jumping at a wall with a piece of chalk
the long jump was jump on a mat
the javialin was a bean bag

am shocked that this happend in a so called sports day
what do people think of this

spanieleyes Sat 09-Jul-11 14:45:28

Why is it wrong for two classes to be taught different topics( they will both be taught the same subjects, just in a different way!) They will cover the same grounds but in a different way-for example one might learn historical enquiry through looking at the romans, another through looking at the greeks, both are examples of choices schools make all the time ( we're doing Vikings instead!).The same applies to most other subjects-except perhaps maths where they will the same areas! If they are covering different topics, they will go on different trips to support this.

High jump, very few primary schools have high jump mats and poles, high jump technique is beyond the ability of most primary pupils, the wall jump is a pre-cursor
long jump-ditto sand pits
javelin-not sure I'd want primary pupils throwing javelins around!

singlemumof3 Sat 09-Jul-11 16:20:17

they have sponge javelins in primary schools
jump at a wall hopeless
jump on a mat thats wet also useless

not the only parent with concerns at the school big meeting on monday also about the way things are happing at the school

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 16:44:09

Most primary school sports days involve mainly track events so I wouldn't find sports unusual.
Are your daughters twins or just close in age? Presumably if they were in different year groups you wouldn't expect them to be taught the same topics?

Feenie Sat 09-Jul-11 16:53:25

Sponge javelins are entirely normal in primary school.

asdx2 Sat 09-Jul-11 17:40:19

Our sports day ended with a space hopper relay. The students seemed to enjoy it immensely and there were no end of volunteers for the parents space hopper race too grin.
There will be plenty of time in secondary for your children to experience "real" track events IMO.

asdx2 Sat 09-Jul-11 17:41:49

oops missing apostrophe blush

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 17:52:19

I have a bruise the size of a dinner plate on my shoulder caused by falling off a space hopper the other day hmm

spanieleyes Sat 09-Jul-11 17:56:07

We always have the waterballon bursting race last. I'm still waiting for it to become an Olympic event thoughsad

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 18:16:58

We don't even have a sports day

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 09-Jul-11 18:40:46

My favourite was the obstacle race that included swinging a bucket of water over your head, or maybe the 'get dressed in oversized trousers, wellies, coats and hats' race.

kaumana Sun 10-Jul-11 00:38:50

Am I being a bit dense, but how do you high jump at a wall?

mrz Sun 10-Jul-11 08:18:57

The child stands next to the wall holding a piece of chalk and jumps to make a mark as high up the wall as possible ... guessing hmm

MigratingCoconuts Sun 10-Jul-11 08:26:38

I'm actually struggling a bit to see the point of the opening post....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now