Talk

Advanced search

KUW in reception

(10 Posts)
thecaptaincrocfamily Fri 08-Jul-11 23:33:33

What is the knowledge needed to gain an 8/9? Does being able to name types of flowers/ trees and unusual animals count? Know where in the country relatives live and who is related to whom and the relationship? Knowing own address/ phone number etc? Giving directions to places? I just don't know! grin

LawrieMarlow Sat 09-Jul-11 00:21:04

This is the foundation stage profile grid.

So KUW point 8 is Builds and constructs with
a wide range of objects,
selecting appropriate
resources, tools and
techniques, adapting her/his
work where necessary

and KUW point 9 is Communicates simple
planning for investigations
and constructions and
makes simple records and
evaluations of her/his work
Identifies and names key
features and properties,
sometimes linking different
experiences, observations
and events
Begins to explore what it
means to belong to a variety
of groups and communities

LawrieMarlow Sat 09-Jul-11 00:22:35

To get a point 8 you would also need to have achieved points 1-3 and 4-7, as well as 8. If you only got 1-3 and point 8 then it would be a 4 as the child had achieved 4 points on the scale.

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 11:15:17

KUW incorporates:
¨ Exploration and investigation
· Developing curiosity and observational skills
· Manipulating objects
· Describing the features of objects
· Finding out more about things using senses
· Finding out how things work
· Exploring patterns
· Looking at similarities, differences and changes
¨ Designing and making
· Investigating and using a variety of construction
· Understanding the purpose of tools and using them safely
· Joining construction together in a variety of ways
· Selecting appropriate resources and tools
· Trying out and adapting
¨ ICT
· Playing with a range of resources
· Learning how to operate simple equipment
· Exploring the varied uses and purposes of everyday technology
· Using a computer
¨ A sense of time
· Finding out about past and present events
· Talking about significant things that have happened
· Showing an interest in people's lives
· Observing changes in the environment e.g. through the seasons, growing
¨ A sense of place
· Looking at the living world around them
· Asking questions about their world
· Noticing differences in environmental features
¨ Cultures and beliefs
· Expressing feelings about personal events and describing them
· Beginning to know about other people's cultures and beliefs through
stories, music, movement, role-play, festivals and celebrations.

rabbitstew Sat 09-Jul-11 11:34:05

Wow! Someone should set out for parents what KUW means, because it never crossed my mind it meant all that!!!!!

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 11:38:49

Knowledge and Understanding of the World covers
Science
History
Geography
ICT
DT
RE
PSHE

thecaptaincrocfamily Sat 09-Jul-11 22:52:18

mrz I could evidence all of that but she got 7? She understood that some people speak different languages at age 3 and attempted to say hello in spanish to a little girl when she didn't respond to her after she said hello in english! She has been able to describe events since 3 yrs and so I feel that she has been underestimated in this area. Same with using laptop, dvd player, TV. Naming plants/ flowers by their names i.e. poppy, rose and understanding what weeds are as opposed to flowers. Understands the male and female names for most animals and what makes them different, what the young are called of different species. I could go on but you probably get the gist smile

mrz Sun 10-Jul-11 09:05:26

Parents may be interested in completing the consultation for the new EYFS curriculum and profile (or just looking at proposed changes for 2012)
www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1747&external=no&menu=1

rabbitstew Sun 10-Jul-11 19:28:24

Surely a bit of perspective is required here? This relates to a teacher's report on a 5-year old. I really don't think it is necessary to quibble over exactly how fantastic a 5-year old is at history, science, geography, ICT, etc. It's not as if she's marked for life as an underachiever to have been given a 7 for something that covers such a ludicrously wide area of achievement that nobody could possibly have any idea (or care?!...) what it is she failed to show the teacher that her proud parents get to see at home.

DeWe Sun 10-Jul-11 20:17:33

You have to realise that you seeing her do it is very different from the class teacher having evidence that she can do it. Names of flowers etc. is almost certainly parental. My family was very into naming flowers and we'd have been talking about red campion, chickweed etc. before went to school. My brother could have listed and identified endangered flowers after an unfortunate incident involving an orchid on the side of the road age 2. grinDh's family had no interest and he looks blankly if you ask him what a forget-me-knot is.
And as rabbitstew says. Does it matter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now